Oliver + S

Wool in Australia

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    etc3 @etc3

I can’t believe I am asking this as I sit in 28c degree heat but…. I am after some wool in Australia so I can join the School Days sew-a-long. Any ideas????

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Spotlight may stock it but they are a bit hit or miss……

If you get stuck, you could do what Liesl suggested ( and I did ) , cut up an overcoat from St Vinnies !

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

I think it may have to be Vinnies. Spotlight in Queensland doesn’t stock wool, apparently we don’t do winter up here! Thanks anyway!

LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

Have you tried Tessuti? They are usually a more expensive option, but I think they seem to stock a lot of wool. I haven’t ordered any but have been in their shops. They may be a tad pricy though?

http://www.tessuti-shop.com/collections/wool

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

While the dollar is so good buying from the US may actually be cheaper… I found that was the case.

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

T888 where in America did you get your wool? I found some great stuff on fabric.com but postage was $56 :-O

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

hmm yes I bought mine from fabric.com – perhaps I suppressed the memory of the postage cost 🙂 I still have the receipt somewhere so I’ll have a look!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Another option- could you cut up a twin wool blanket?

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

Yes I tried fabric.com, $48 for the postage, I just couldn’t do it. Fabric Store in Melbourne has some and unbelievably my husband is there this week on business, I’ll have to trust his judgement.

LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

We have Fabric Store in Sydney too. I’d offer to help you, but I’ll confess that my knowledge of wool is nil and I’d probably do worse than your husband. I have to ask…. do you ever actually need a wool coat in Queensland? We lived in Brisbane for a bit, but I can’t remember owning much more than a raincoat.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

oh Fabric Store is great – it opened just after I had bought mine. They have the most lovely NZ wools – everything they have is a lovely quality so he should be fine (I suppose he could still choose a horrid colour!). The women there are also very helpful and are happy to cut swatches for you to take. Get him to get samples of anything else you are interested in while he is there!

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

Probably not in Brisbane proper but we live at the top of a mountain and it is freezing! We’re also heading to Ireland for Xmas, any excuse really. I’m sure he’ll be fine with their assistance, I have already called them to tee it all up!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

What a good husband – I can’t wait to see what he picks, Peta! Post some pics 🙂 (I’m just envisaging my husband in a fabric shop – lol!)

LINK
    etc3 @etc3

Poo, poo, poo, my husband’s meeting ran many hours over and so the store had closed by the time he was out (or so he says!) Given that it has been raining here non stop for the last 3 days and roads have been washed away I’ve ordered some laminated cotton. (Still going to get myself down to Melbourne to nose around in that shop).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.