Oliver + S

Woodland Stroll cape

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Andree Johnson @tamajohnson

In the November 14 blog post, the Woodland Stroll cape was shown in a gray/black fabric with what looks like leather binding. Can anyone share the type of fabric this is and where I could find the same type of binding? Also, it looks as if the pattern was modified as the cape in the picture looks longer and also has a collar. I can’t wait to make this and appreciate anyone’s help. Thank you!

Attachments:
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hello, that photo was inspiration only, from a vintage Bonnie Cashin cape. You can take our pattern and modify it to be similar to that style, but I don’t have specific details on the vintage item to give you. Yes, she bound a lot of her clothing in leather strips. You could experiment with similar fabric or with real leather. I’ve also seen a non-woven paper-like material that resembles leather and that might be easier to work with? Personally I would lean toward faux suede like Ultrasuede because it’s lightweight and washable. And for a similar look you’d want to lengthen the pattern as well. One of these days when I have time I hope to attempt it, myself! I hope you’ll show us how it turns out if you make it!

LINK
    Andree Johnson @tamajohnson

Thank you for your response. I’ve purchased a boucle fleece and will look for ultra suede. When it is done, I will post a picture.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I saw a faux suede trim at Mokuba in Paris a few weeks ago. I´m sure they have it in the New York store as well–you could call and ask them about it. It seemed perfect for this purpose, to me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.