Oliver + S

Where to lengthen the hula hoop?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I want to lengthen the hula hoop skirt, as it seems a little short and I have a couple of tall girls to sew for. I am thinking of just adding a couple of inches to the bottom of the skirt flounce, as I can then still use the fold lines for the turn over.

Any ideas?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’ve never really lengthened a circular skirt before but I am assuming you would do the cut and splice method where you slice the pattern down the middle, spread and redraw. Because it is round I am also assuming that a straight line would lead to potential disasters!

Hope this helps.

Tamara

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I made the Hula Hoop Skirt twice last week. The first time I made it in size 7 length, it was too short for my daughter so I gave that skirt away. The second time I made it I added 2 inches to the length of the flounce. It turned out really cute. The fold over ends of the flounce are related to the width, not the length. When you lengthen in flounce, the fold over parts are longer not wider and the position of them on the hips does not change. If you cut down the middle of the curve and add inches there, it would make it wider.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Jennifer is right; if you add length, add it to the bottom edge. This is really easy to do with a ruler, just moving it along and making short marks every 1/2″ or so. Then you can join the marks for your new hem line. Really, you could make the skirt any length you want this way.

LINK

Thanks for the prompt replies. I did lengthen the pattern by 2″ in the way Liesl and Jennifer describe, but I haven’t made it up yet. I wanted to see if any one had had a different brilliant idea fohow to do it. I desperatly want the larger sized pattern as well. I might just have to work out how to make one for me! (much enlargerd)

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

This may not work for you- but could you lengthen the yoke instead? As long as the little girl could comfortably sit down in it?

LINK

Yhe yoke would be much easier to lengthen, but I think all the fun of the skirt is in the flouncy twirly skirt! I’m also concerned that it would put off the balance of the pattern, here I am talking about pattern balance when I’m only lengthening one part of the skit! I still haven’t made up the one I lengthened a couple of days ago (size 4), but once I have enlarged the skirt to a 14 and 16 I will then add length to the 10 and that will probably be the next one made up.

LINK
    paula @paula

Hi Heidi,

Just curious if you were successful lengthening the skirt? I am going to need mine lengthened as well.

Thanks!

LINK

Yes Paula, i was very sucessful in lengthing (and enlarging the skirt).

this is a 16 with 2″ extra length (for an 18 year old, and it’s getting worn)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/8226624448/in/pool-oliverands

And this is a 10 with 3″ of length

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/8226630468/in/pool-oliverands

I added the length to the bottom of the flounce piece.

LINK
    paula @paula

Beautiful! I am so glad it worked! My daughter is waiting patiently for me to make one for her…

LINK

This is an amazing pattern Paula, though it dose seem to run a little small, but I’m think that’s how it’s designed. Just check the final measurment to check that she’ll be able to get the size you make on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.