Oliver + S

when to bias-trim the seam allowances

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    june @june

I would like to trim all (or where as possible) the jacket seam allowances with bias strips, and it is a little bit difficult for me to figure out when to do so, especially the yoke seams and the armhole/side seams.

Do I trim the yoke seams just after I sew the yoke and the front/back panel together, before I put the edgestitching from the right side?

Do I trim the armhole before sewing the side seams together? Or do I trim side seams together, then the armholes? In either cases, what should I do with the clipping (instruction page 3, SEW THE SIDE SEAMS section, #3)? Do I clip then trim? Or…If I want to trim armholes/side seams, is it better to sew the side seams and sleeve seams separately then put them together (ie sew the armhole)?

Sorry for a long question, but I cannot make my mind, so I wish if someone out there can help me.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I trimmed the yoke with the facing piece all in one swoop. I think I trimmed the upper back piece/lower back piece prior to the sleeves being sewn in. (I’m examining the jacket that I made nearly a year ago, and this is what I can tell from my seams.) I trimmed the inner sleeve seams after they were stitched, stopping just shy of the seam allowance junction where the side seams meet.

I do remember that I had to go very, very slow for all of it. I also liked Liesl’s suggestion for how she stitches the bias (basically making two passes with each bias trim), ESPECIALLY for the bulkier seams.

Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket & Skirt (Inside of Jacket)

LINK
    june @june

April,

Thank you very much for your comment and your lovely photo.

I really liked the combination of the fabrics (jacket, skirt, and the trimming)!

It is true that trimming takes a long time but the finished garment should be fabulous with the trimmed seams.

This time I stitched and trimmed armholes, then stitched and trimmed side and sleeve seams in one go. It seems underarm became a little bulky because of the layers of bias strips. Next time, maybe I stitch sides and sleeves separately, then put them together.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Hi, June – I clipped either side of the sleeve/side junction so that there wouldn’t be the bulk. I clipped after I bias trimmed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.