Oliver + S

When searching for a knit fabric with at least 25% stretch online…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

What do I look for? I went to Joann yesterday and they had nothing that would work for leggings. I plan on going to a smaller, more specialty fabric store to look, but their selection is very limited.

Has anyone ordered from Spoonflower? Would any of their knits work for leggings?

Where have you shopped and what have you used?

I’ve been searching for ‘stretch knit fabric’ on Amazon.com and wound up on the Fabric.com Amazon site. Not sure what to pick!

Thanks!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom
    LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

You can also recycle old t-shirts. This only works for smaller sizes (5 and under), but it saves having to hem the bottom. Some people buy shirts on sale to cut up. I get mine from my husband or from the thrift store.

It is nice to practice with the old Ts.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Chez Ami, ( http://www.chezami.com) quality lycra jersey knits (and other fabrics, all first quality) and they have regular sales on all their fabrics for usually 25% off, probably due in a few weeks now. Their regular prices are also reasonable. all fabrics are sold in 2 yd cuts. When you click on the fabric they show items made up in them. all in all a very nice shopping experience.

LINK
    paula @paula

Thanks! I can’t wait to get started on the Playtime pattern for my 13 month old! I think I’ve found some in my stash that will work for the first set and now I have a few places to look for more. This is going to be a popular pattern at our house!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Girl Charlee is my go-to for knits. They specify content, weight and stretch for each item and they have a terrific selection.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, I didn’t realize that CHez Ami are all sold in two yard cuts! Good to know.

LINK
    nanasews @nanasews

Hawthorne Threads is mainly a quilting source, but I have found good knits (limited stock) there. The company offers superb service and good prices. They carry Robert Kaufman’s wonderful jersey in solid colors. I’ve also had good luck with Banberry.

I’m always looking for new sources for interlock and jersey knits. I’ve scoured the internet to find just a few pieces of Oliver and S older stock. Land of Oh from S. Korea is also a source through Etsy, although expensive. Why is quality knit fabric so difficult to find?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Cindy (the knit guru) is so right! If you get a cotton with a lycra content you cannot go wrong. It may be dearer but so worth it!

A word of warning, don’t use a wash powder with bleach or optical whiteners. It will break down the lycra and you will have a floppy garment.

Also, check out eBay. I have picked up some awesome offcuts from swim/gym wear factories.

Dance studios sell good quality cotton/lycra too.

I make a lot of leggings.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Land of Oh (Etsy) sells wonderful-quality knits, however, their already-high prices have skyrocketed since the last time I ordered! Pity – I had some great striped interlock that I wanted to restock. I have not had great luck with Banberry’s customer service. I do likeGirl Charlee, though some of the jerseys I ordered from them were very disappointingly flimsy. I will stick to their cotton/lycra blends.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I have had good experiences with Banberry Place. The only time I had a problem, she credited my card right away.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I just found this fabric website called Nature’s Fabrics and they have a lot of cotton lycra and cotton spandex jersey and some are organic:

http://www.naturesfabrics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=cotton+lycra+jersey&x=0&y=0

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I have mostly knits in my “collection”, which is vast! and I have to recommend Nature’s fabrics as having “bend-over-backwards” for you customer service, she will work to find what you need (she has a rare assortment of wool for those who love natural fibers and euro knits without the outrageous international shipping!) and Jeanne is a lovely woman. Fabric Fairy has great choices and amazing service (special cutting 1/2 yards of boardshort fabric for me to match my rash guard fabrics and hand matching colors for me on multiple occasions). I love Chez Ami when they have a sale and you know you need a lot of something (plain colors for leggings and tees) since you have to buy 2 yards and the fabric is WIDE! Ottobre’s etsy shop is where I get ribbing and knits for a “special treat”!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Keep in mind that 25% stretch is not very much! Cotton jersey will work just fine. Something with a TINY bit of lycra/spandex will have better recovery, but you don’t want a power stretch. We’re not making swimsuits here! I made S’s leggings with ordinary cotton jersey, so don’t worry too much about getting fancy with these. Dry Goods had a nice selection of knits the last time I checked, too, including Heather Ross’s new collection…

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Would the City Weekend knits be suitable for leggings? I was hoping to make them out of something that won’t sag at the knees. How is the recovery on that fabric?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.