Oliver + S

What fabric do you use for linings?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    mrsp @mrsp

Hi, I am about to embark upon my first lined item – the roller skate dress. I am having a bit of trouble finding the right lining to use, I am thinking of a plain muslin type of fabric as it would be light weight, but is it hard wearing enough?

Can you tell me what you find works best for you?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I bumped a topic for you!

Please let us know if it doesn’t answer your question.

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The right lining depends on your fashion fabric. Muslin is not lightweight but could still be a good lining for some materials. I lined one of these with muslin for a poplin dress, mainly because that’s what I had on hand, but it’s fine. It can also work for quilting cotton. However, a cotton lawn would be be a better lining because it’s lighter weight. The muslin lined dress already feels to heavy for the early sticky weather we’re having. Cotton voile is another good choice for lining summer dresses, although some voile can be a little gauzy and therefore sticky. Batiste is another good choice and lightweight. Sometimes, the distinction between these three is vague depending on manufacturer. Most of the time, you want to go a little lighter weight than your fashion fabric.

If you need a slippery lining, rayon is breathable and easy to care for. Bemberg can be a pain to work but will glide over tights. Rayon batiste or challis can work too, is slippery enough but has a little more grip than Bemberg. For a beginner, I might stick with cotton.

LINK
    mrsp @mrsp

Fantastic thanks for your advice guys that helps a lot :o)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Ladies, I just received some swatches from fabric.com of organic cotton batiste and Kaufman cotton lawn, both of which are soft, smooth and would make excellent linings for many summer fabrics. The batiste is $14/yd but is 60″ wide, so it would go pretty far even though it’s not exactly cheap. I’m pretty impressed with how nice it is actually. I may stock up. The lawn is slightly less lightweight and sheer, but also soft, smooth and comes in a range of colors. At only $7/yd I think it’s a pretty good value. Hope this helps!

LINK
    sagedogmn @sagedogmn
    LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have to update: I have Harts seems to have changed their plain ivory voile. What I received. Recently is much stiffer and toothier than what I have gotten from them before. I even washed it a few times and still stiff. So, it’s no good for the free spirit silky voiles, except as a bodice lining or interfacing. Order swatches people!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.