Oliver + S

Using two fabrics, top and bottom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    lisak @lisak

Hi there! I just started the Roller Skate dress, and I would like to use two fabrics, top and bottom, like in the blog post. Are there instructions for how to do that? Am I missing something?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Huh, you know, that’s a good question. Is the dress in the blog really in two pieces, or is it a print with broad stripes and some clever pattern placement? I can’t quite tell from looking at it.

I think what I’d do if I wanted to look like that, though, is that I’d cut the pattern on the stitching line for the elastic, so there was a top and a bottom half. Then I’d add, say, half an inch to each piece along the edge I’d just cut (so I’d have the same 1/2 inch seam allowances everywhere and not have to worry about remembering a different one). Then I’d stitch the two pieces together, and I’d proceed from there, just following the regular instructions. I think you could probably also stitch together two pieces of fabric and then cut out the single pattern piece, so you’d have it to use again, but if memory serves, there’s a slight curve to that line, so this way might look nicer.

I haven’t tried it though, has anyone else?

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I made one with a second fabric at the bottom– sort of the tunic plus a wide band of a different fabric to make it dress length. My only tip was to cut the pattern if you have it digitally. I found it to annoying to try to cut the pieces while preserving the pattern piece whole.

I added the seam allowance by using the size 8 line as my cut. I was making a 6.

I don’t see why it would be much harder to cut the pattern at the casing line. Go for it.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I would think it would be fairly simple to cut the pattern apart at the casing line, I would add a fairly wide seam allowance, 3/4″ maybe, which you would fold up after the skirt and bodice are sewn together, stitch in place and use for the casing.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The dress on the blog is actually one fabric, carefully positioned so the placement of the stripes makes it look as though it’s two fabrics. You could cut the dress at the casing and add seam allowances to make it from two fabrics. Just keep in mind that the casing may be a bit bulky where the seam is positioned. Otherwise it would be the same process as the regular dress, just with a seam added. I’m planning to do a blog post about this very soon if you don’t mind waiting a week or two for it. (I just need to get through spring break and all that stuff…)

LINK
    lisak @lisak

Thanks all! I have no patience, so I’m just giving it a shot. 🙂 This is for my 4 year old, and my pattern starts at 5, so I just cut the pattern along the casing line, and sewed them together with 1/8″ seam allowance. I’ll shorten the lining by an extra 1/4″ to make up for it. (I am a bit of hack sewer, so I’m glad that the elastic will cover a multitude of sins.) Also, the fabric is so cute (red and white bicycles on top, polka dot on the bottom) that hopefully no one will notice a wrinkly elastic line. 🙂

LINK
    lisak @lisak

done! It turned out great– so chuffed. 😉

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39083904@N05/8594232443/in/pool-oliverands/

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That is a seriously cute dress Lisa, well done!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Love your attacking style. Atta girl!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Went for a peep,super cute!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.