Oliver + S

Upcycling a sweater?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Has anyone tried reusing a lightweight sweater for this pattern? I was thinking of a cotton or cotton blend, not wool. I might use a different fabric for the neck band.

Does anyone have experience? Any words of wisdom?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would make sure it’s very stretchy or upsize one to two sizes, as otherwise it may be too small. would love to see it if you do.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you mean a knitted type sweater,it can be helpful to trace the pattern pieces onto the garment and then sew a narrow zigzag before cutting them out to reduce fraying.

Also,lay the garment out on a flat surface over night so the fabric is relaxed and not stretched.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Celrae @Celrae

Hi Maggie, I have upcycled a couple of light weight knitted merino and cashmere cardigans to make beautiful stretchy sweater tops for my daughter (3T) this was one of the first patterns I had used to sew knit fabrics. Since then I have also made up some lovely tops in light merino knit that I purchased at spotlight as well as a heavier weight black wool knitted dress (with a redrafted cowl/polo style neck) with some beautiful wool I picked up in a designer fabric remnants box. I first used just my regular sewing machine with a zig zag stitch to finish the edges and a twin needle for the hemming. Since then I have purchased an overlocker from Aldi and they are pretty quick and easy to sew up with that. Cheers Celine

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Thanks for all the advice.

Maggie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.