Oliver + S

Type of ribbon?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

What type of ribbon did you all use? And did you need to do anything to the ends to prevent them from fraying? I’m heading over to troll etsy but would appreciate any recommendations for sources. Thanks!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I used grosgrain and did not put anything on to prevent fraying. My 4 year old kept playing with it and badly shredded the ribbon. So I have no good advice.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

If you cut it at an angle and seal it with a little fabric glue (like Fray Check) you won’t have any problems. I’ve heard of people singeing the ends but always assumed I’d set the house on fire and should avoid any attempts in this direction…)

I like grosgrain ribbon best. Millinery grosgrain has a nice, soft hand if you can find it!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I guess I use whatever ribbon I can find here in NE Iowa. As for the finishing of ends, I always take a lighter to the ends of my ribbon just to melt it a bit. I have tried fray check on the ends and have had success if I’m liberal enough with it. The lighter gives me more instant satisfaction and there’s no doubt that it will stay. Good luck and take care!

Rebecca

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use a butter knife and heat it in the gas ring on my stove and quickly slice the end at an angle.

It won’t work so well cotton mix ribbons.

I buy my ribbons online, via eBay, from the UK. They are lush!

Liesl is right about the millinery ribbon. I have a roll I picked up from a factory closing down. Its a steel grey cotton/silk mix and so lovely but I have to hem the ends or finish with a narrow zig zag.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

PS I did read of a lass using a thin line of craft glue to finish the end.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

How about just tying a knot in the end? This is what I did for a quilt that I tied with ribbon.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I try to roll a teeeeeeeeny hem, but it never looks as clean as I’d like. I should try Nicole’s hammer trick to tap down the bulk of it a bit.

LINK

Thanks for the input. I would actually love to make a thin binding from my contrast fabric but am wondering if it would be too thick. Maybe I’ll give that a quick try before I invest in a million 3-yard pieces of ribbon that may or may not match 🙂

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I used grosgrain. I had picked out a second choice of satin, but prefer the grip of grosgrain.

I always cut my ends with scissors then run he edge over a hot flame (usually a bbq lighter) until it melts the end just enough to seal it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Might want to try it on a snippet if you’re unsure of the fiber content of your ribbon, before you leave ash on a new blouse, not that that’s ever happened to me, of course not, heaven forfend.

LINK

With my luck I’d just get shorter and shorter ribbons as I cut the charred parts off! I have tried this on “satin” ribbon before but did not know you could do it on grosgrain too. I like the idea of slicing it with a hot knife.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.