Oliver + S

Tutu question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    carrie @carrie

Hi – I’m new here, and I’ve been asked at the last minute (!) to make tutus for two little girls, 4 and 7 to wear as flower girls in their aunt’s wedding. The bad news is that they need to be done by Monday. But I do love them. We have your book, and I intended to just follow your instructions to the letter, but my tulle isn’t the right size….some is 72″ wide, and some only 56″. I’m wondering if I can get away with folding it so I’m using it in the narrower direction….I’m not entirely sure they’ve given me enough tulle for 10 layers all together otherwise. Can you tell me if it will work with these narrower widths (i.e. not the 108″ mentioned in the pattern)? I’m so not talented at the math part of it – the sewing I’m not worried about!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made this yet Carrie, my tulle allergy is severe 😉

But, I did bump a few helpful topics for you.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

How long do the tutus need to be? and how much fabric ( length and width have you got?

And yes you should be able to cut tulle along the length. If you’re tulle is less wide the tutus will be less full.

LINK
    carrie @carrie

Hello again! I’ve been reading through all these posts that Nicole kindly bumped up for me, and I think I’m getting a handle on this. Still math challenged, or rather spatial reasoning challenged, I guess. It’s hard to figure out just how to do the cuts so I have 2 semi equal tutus. I have 3 pieces of tulle, 2 of the finer kind that are 56″ wide, one is 12.5 feet long, and one 15 feet long. Then I have a coarser one that is 72″ wide and 13 feet long. The bride would like them about knee length, or a bit longer, which means 17″ for one and 15″ for the other. Then in case they are still too sheer, she’d like me to make a little slip kind of skirt to go under all. The fabric for that is a very flimsy, slippery lining type – Not my favourite thing to sew on! I guess I just need to get my graph paper out and draw the cuts so I know what I’m doing. I just wasn’t sure if it would be fluffy enough if I used the narrower width. Thanks for all your help!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not seen a sheer one yet, I think once it is gathered, it bulks up nicely.

Some girls trim them to length after making them too.

LINK
    carrie @carrie

I’ve just spent some time with the graph paper, and it looks as if I’ll have enough to give each of them 8 layers (4 folded), and each piece will be 75″ wide, so a compromise between 54 and 104. Do you think that will be full enough? Thanks again for your help…..

Carrie

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That should be quite full as the 75″ will gather down to about 25″. Maybe not quite as full as the one in the book but should look lovely 🙂

LINK
    carrie @carrie

I really appreciate the encouragement! Will report back later……

LINK
    carrie @carrie

Finally finished, after some grinding of teeth. It seemed that the waist was going to be too small, and therefore leave an unacceptable gap in the back, so I actually made it about 3 inches more than their waist measurements. The gathered tulle takes up quite a bit of room there. On the smaller ribbon, I allowed 1″ for the fold over at each edge, and then when I sewed the longer ribbon on, I stopped about an inch short of each end so that if I’m wrong about the larger size being needed, I can overlap the shorter ribbon edge when I tie the bow. I hope that makes sense. My finished width, before gathering, was only about 68″ in the end, but seems to be more than enough. They are lovely, but pretty hard work with the measuring and cutting and trying to get things even. Working with the tulle is kind of like trying to pin down a cloud. I hope these notes help the next ones to try…..and thank you all for your help.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Well done! I was worried about the open back being an issue. Cute for playing, maybe not so at a wedding.

I’ve been thinking of exactly your solution and was about to try typing it all in as a suggestion when I got busy…

So glad you worked it out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.