Oliver + S

Toggle sets??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

Anyone know where I could find something like these but in a smaller quantity (or does anyone want to split an order 5 or 10 ways, lol?)

http://m.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=toggle+leather+metal+fasteners

And assuming I do find somewhere to get them, any suggestions on when to sew them on? I’m assuming top stitching but would you do it at the end or before you attach the second facing piece?

LINK
    sosew @sosew
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The second one it lovely!

Are you intending to dry clean the finished garment as leather does not always wash well.

If you are, you may find a Saddlery will have the fittings you require. Or possibly a Cobbler?

I am ‘cruising the net’ at the moment so if I see anything I will report back.

~Nicole~

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Ah, thanks I hadn’t thought of that! I’ve already washed the boiled wool a few times (was an old coat of my husbands) so I was planning on just washing the coat. Maybe I should just stick with the button version. Hmmm was thinking it would be fun for the boys to have toggles like their papa

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Suede washes quite well. It will go stiff but if you rub it, it softens.

I purchased some wooden toggles from Hong Kong (via eBay) and my son finished them with Danish Oil and they wash well.

You could use some heavy cord to thread them and some suede patched to hold the cord in pace.

Like Paddington Bear.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

yes! Paddington bear style 🙂

Any tips on the cord? It sounds like some people had problems with them pulling apart where they were sewn. Though to be honest I don’t imagine them using the toggles that much to close it (am planning on magnetic snaps as well.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thick cord would be best, so that it requires forcing through the hole of the toggle. If you wrap the end in sticky tape it will go through smoothly.

I would stitch the cord like mad in place and then stick the suede over the top. If you wrap sticky tape into a little package, you can use that to hold the suede in place when you stitch. It will come to no harm left under the patch.

If you wash the suede scraps in shampoo before using them you should avoid too much colour loss.

It is sounding lovely.

LINK
    sosew @sosew
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They are fabulous!

Perhaps if you interface the ‘pleather’ and treat it as fabric? Its not like you are going to wash it more then once or twice a season.

Wool brushed down well and mud and food generally scratches off once dry.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve seen something like that at Spotlight near the buttons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.