Oliver + S

To over lock or not to overlock, that is the question?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

WithloveHeidi- thanks for the advice. I’ve written down name of Janome overlocker to have a look at. I am getting much more idea now of what the differences are.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Nicole! You must have managed to put that gorgeous baby down for two minutes! Thanks for noticing my pitiful Shakespearean reference. I have started writing down these recommendations and looking up machines. I want a Baby Lock because they look great and I like the name but far too expensive at the moment. Juki you say? I’ll have a look at those. Thank you for taking the time to reply- you must be rushed off your feet. X

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Lightning- thank you too for the advice. Wish we all lived by each other- can you imagine how great a Sewing Club we would have! Did I imagine it or did someone a while back suggest reviews would be a good standing topic? I think it would. I know everyone has a personal opinion but at least we could avoid buying really bad machines if a few people mentioned them. Ditto overlockers, notions etc.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thank you justsewit. Adding in your opinions as well now I have decided not to go for a dress form. And to look for a mid range over locker. And probably, probably, not get another sewing machine just yet. Though I do want to tackle coats and my machine is rather lightweight.

Thank you everyone for yet again answering my questions. I value your opinions a lot. Have a good day. Linda xxxxxxx

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Having used domestic sergers for nearly 27 years, I would purchase a serger over a dress form, BUT I still believe a dress form is a very useful tool. πŸ™‚ As was mentioned up thread, you can purchase dress forms, used, for a great price. I would keep your eyes open for a second hand dress form. I have been using dress forms for the past 12 years and there is a learning curve in getting it set up to be like you (mostly), but it’s worth it.

Regarding sergers, I confess to breaking down and purchasing my first Baby Lock 3.5 years ago. I had the good fortune of finding the top of the line, (at that time) selling second hand, but had never even been out of the box, so I received a very good deal on it. Now I own 2 and considering another, simply because I use sergers a great deal. To swap out my Baby Lock top of the line machine,(now one down from the top of the line) to get a coverstitch only machine, is not worth it based on how they devalue the machines and because of my exceptional deal I received in my purchase. So, I am looking to purchase another top of the line Baby Lock, so I can have the excellent Baby Lock features in a serger, and have the other one set up as a stand alone coverstitch machine. I do sew with lots of knits, which is why I want the coverstitch only machine.

Why a Baby Lock? I LOVE the jet air, quick, easy threading of the loopers. On a serger/overlock machine, you have an upper and lower looper. The threading of these loopers, depending on the machine, is tedious and at times, frustrating. As my eyes have aged, I have come to rely on the easier threading systems, they make life easier. πŸ™‚ The Baby Lock is also not dependent on threading in a certain order, you can thread the machine in whatever order you want. Many sergers you have to thread in a particular order, to make the machine work properly. Also, Baby Lock offers the automatic tension, which is wonderful! The down side to the top of the line Baby Lock serger (Ovation) and the next one down (Evolution) is the width of the foot. It’s a wider width foot, making going around curves a little more tricky. The new Ovation has a narrower curved foot option and I believe you can use it on the Evolution. My second Baby Lock is called, “Imagine” and I love having the narrow foot. I can have that set up for rolled hems at all times. πŸ™‚ If you don’t want a coverstitch or chain stitch, purchasing the Imagine Baby Lock is a great option.

There is a relatively new serger/overlock on the market, but I have not seen it up close and personal. It is offering the ‘jet air’ threading of the loopers. It might be worth checking it out, it’s a Juki: http://www.allbrands.com/products/42383-juki-mo1000-serger-jet-air-loopers-auto-needle-thr

The Baby Lock machines offer the rolled hem feature without swapping out the foot, which is a bonus! I use the rolled hem feature a great deal.

If you are part of the Pattern Review site, you can look up machine reviews there, it’s very helpful. http://sewing.patternreview.com/

From what I remember, in the UK, you often have a better pricing on these machines than we do in North America. It would be worth checking out options you have for purchasing machines over there. At one point, I even considered purchasing over there to bring back here to, Canada.

Good luck on your research and purchase! I would suggest trying to purchase the machine with the best options for you. Make sure it’s user friendly for, you! πŸ™‚

Carol

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

That’s a really helpful answer, Carol. Must have taken you ages to write. I want a Baby Lock even more now.

LINK

Linda, if you do decide on a Baby Lock and you want the advantage of a coverstitch/overlocker combination machine, I would highly recommend the top of the line Baby Lock. They fixed a few of the issues that initially kept me away from the machine! The Ovation now has a larger harp area, which is important if you plan on using the chain stitch for decoration (this machine does more than just serge and coverstitch). πŸ™‚ It now has speed control, which is great, especially if you are just starting out or want more control in tricky areas. It has a knee lift, making it easier to keep both hands on the project. There are 6 bright LED lights!!! More light means you can see those dark threads on dark fabric so much easier. They put the pressure foot lever on the front of the machine, rather than at the back of the needle bar, which is where it should have been to start with, IMHO! They also changed the thread rack (where the thread cones sit) making it much more friendly. On the Evolution, the threads can get ‘married’ (meaning they can get tangled) from time to time, causing a bit of frustration. You can avoid that by making sure you use the netting for the cones, to keep the thread on it’s pathway.

I would highly recommend playing with machines. Go try them out. Bring fabric with you that you typically use for projects. If you use heavier weight fabrics, bring some with you to try out. If you plan to use knits, pick up some scrap fabric and bring it with you. Machine demonstrations are often made to look so easy. Then you get the machine home and things aren’t quite as nice and smooth. Ask the sales person to demonstrate threading the machine for you, then you can see how quick/slow, easy a machine threads.

Having as much information as you can, before you purchase, will help you feel better about whatever machine you decide on.

With all the sewing you do for you lovely grand-babies, I am sure you will enjoy having an overlock machine. Enjoy the shopping! πŸ˜‰

Carol

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have a BabyLock Imagine, I stalked everyplace I could think of for more than a year hoping for a lucky find and never found one. FINALLY they went on very modest sale at my local shop. It actually does also make espresso, so it’s basically perfect. Jokes aside, the salesman basically sold it by pulling out all the threads and telling me to rethread it. He didn’t need to help, there’s a little diagram on the inside of the door. You can swap colors just for kicks. It’s really that easy.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks, Carol that was a lot of info and tips there. Must have taken you ages to write- thank you.

Sarvi- I have seen a BABY LOCK 750D SA OVERLOCK SEWING MACHINE with attachments for sale on eBay today for Β£189 or offers. I contacted the seller and it used to be her mother in laws and was hardly used. Its about four years old. Anyone know this model and is this a fair price? I am sorely tempted before it goes.

LINK

Linda, I type fast! πŸ˜› I do get lots of interruptions, so sometimes I have to walk away and finish a bit later.

Regarding this machine you are looking at purchasing, I have never seen this machine. I dont’ know if it’s only a product over where you are, or if select shops carry it over here, but I have not seen this model. Here is a link to a UK dealer with this machine up for sale for price comparison: http://www.franknutt.co.uk/babylock-prestige-750ds It lists all the accessories that should come with the machine. This machine does NOT have the jet air threading if that was something you were hoping for. It appears to have some kind of ‘assist’ for the lower looper, but it’s not jet air.

I don’t know how your warrantee/guarantee programs work over there. Just because the seller states it’s in good condition, does not mean it actually is. If there is any problem with the machine, you are looking at a shop visit to get it looked at and repaired, I would count on this in the price of the machine. The ebay listing sounds high to me, based on the listing I saw. If I can’t plug in the machine to hear how it runs, I am very leery of descriptions, unless it’s a person I know personally. If the lady selling the machine doesn’t know too much about it, or if she can’t thread it, then she might be giving you wrong information. You could ask her if she uses overlocker machines and if so, has she threaded it and sewn with it. If yes, perhaps she could do a short video of the machine so you can see and hear the machine? Just a few thoughts…..

Where I live, to have a machine serviced, I am out of pocket nearly $100 just to have it inspected. Then, if anything is wrong, I have to pay parts and labour on top of that. With a new machine, where I live, that is covered for the first year, with extra small coverage for a year or two after that.

Looking forward to hearing how you make out with your search/purchase!

Carol

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

My janome overlocker has a diagram on the inside of the little door also. I cheat though and cut and tie the new thread at the top before all the business starts and then thread it through this way. I have to snip the knots and thread the needles though but that is really no big deal. It isn’t hard to thread it but this is a complete time saver because threading can be fiddly.

Linda they also use different needles to the regular sewing machine. Mine uses needles especially for knits – I can use these on my Horizon but only for knits.

I find that one was a bit touchy on the pedal to start so it may be a matter of getting the right touch when you get started to get used to it – almost like a gopher buggy taking off backwards and bashing into a pole and then taking off in the correct direction (just a story I heard yesterday of elder family member adventures) but of course without drastic action of such.

I am not sure what others are like because I haven’t road tested any others – Janome girl through and through me.

Either which way, what ever model and brand you choose you will not regret the choice to get one. They are fantastic. A good leg up in sewing without getting a bells and whistles machine where half the components aren’t used. Just make sure your sewing space can accommodate it next to your sewing machine and this way you won’t have to continually keep lifting heavy machines or having to move very far to get to use one and then the other.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks Justesewit. I think you’re right about getting an over locker rather than a sewing machine. My is fine for most stuff. I am so Kern to get one now- just wish I had Β£1,000 spare!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If you use a reef knot (square knot) to tie the threads together the knot will go through the eye of the overlocker needle πŸ™‚

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I bought an overlocker today! I went to a shop that repairs and also sells new and secondhand. I went for a Juki MO 654 DE. A woman had bought it from the shop and then couldn’t figure out how to thread it so returned it to them and bought a air threader Baby Lock. She brought it back into the shop only last week. So I had it as secondhand price, even though she had never used it. I paid Β£299 (about $478) so very happy! Instruction booklet, extra feet (corder, elastic sewer foot and another one that looks exactly the same as the corder foot to me). Accessory kit and stuff in it never been opened, I can see . all threaded up and the man gave me packet needles, four black and four white reels thread free. He showed me how to thread it and I feel I can do it with no problems (yes, of course you can remind me I said that…). Just sat here reading manual now. Very pleased at price and excited! Thank you all for your help, it crystalised things for me. Linda.

LINK

CONGRATULATIONS, Linda! Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful deal! Have fun playing and please let us know how you enjoy it.

Warmly,

Carol

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.