Oliver + S

tight armholes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Roxyrox @Roxyrox

I am making the Rollerskate dress for the first time. I had my daughter try it on after sewin the side and shoulder seams to check on fit. as she reached out her arm the armhole tore. the tear is along the front about half way between the side and shoulder seam. Has anyone else experienced a tight fit in the armhole? What is the best way to enlarge them without losing the shape?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Roxy, I have been going through my sewing books but to no avail.

My simple answer would be to size up but I have not made this and feel a bit helpless.

I will keep on it, you have not been forgotten!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Roxy,

Yes, you might want to size up for a larger armhole. Although there is another method that you could use–but only for this dress because of the unusual combined sleeve/armhole situation: you could slice the pattern horizontally a couple of inches above the base of the armhole and spread it a bit to add room. Tape a new piece of paper to fill in the gap and this will effectively lower the armhole a bit, making room for the bicep.

Does that help? (Caution: this will not work with any other pattern that has sleeves!)

LINK
    Roxyrox @Roxyrox

I will have to try this. Sizing up is not an option since it is a 12. I will try playing with it and see what I can come up with. There does not seem to be much difference in the armholes between sizes. She is not big but is broad across the back and doesn’t like things snug. It may also have been the quality of the fabric and the fact that the armhole was not finished yet. I will keep trying.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.