Oliver + S

That would be a shame Liesl!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I just read in the Flickr group that you are considering junking the Sketchbook Shirt and Shorts pattern and that would be a shame!

It is by far the quickest and easiest shirt pattern I have made,but it still gives a very professional look!

I have made so many of these shirts and have just enlarged the pattern and cut out three more!

Why not mention in the errata that it is not a tucking in shirt and length needs to be added?

I cut and lengthened mine at the side seam notches,it was quite straight forward to do.

It really looks the part,very smart,very oliver+s.

The shorts are just gorgeous and so quick to make.

I have made so many short and pants from this pattern.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I have also made 6 or more of these shirts and unlike many others, I own it in both size ranges, I also plan on using the shirt making skills I have gained to make some shirts for my husband as I think the finished result is so much higher quality than the other finished shirts I’ve completed. I would be happy to help review or test the larger sizes for how much length needs to be added, as I have kept notes while making mine. I understand from the picture on the pattern envelope that it was meant to be an “over shirt” for layering and not a dress shirt strictly. The collar stand isn’t quite high enough to lie comfortably flat with a tie underneath so I would love to see a dress shirt oliver + s pattern someday along with other boys dress clothes, but for now, I think the pattern is an invaluable resource for people looking to sew for boys…dress clothes often survive better than playclothes and unique ones are so hard to find. Again, I think as motehrof5 mentioned, an errata sections with recommendations on how much to add for each size would be great, the width and other details are great, just length for sleeve and back/front. Also as I suggested previously I feel that the larger sizes should be fit tested up to the largest size on both boys and girls since it seems like this is when shape starts to change in kids, if they are not already tested as such. Just my thoughts.

LINK
    Janell @Janell

Oh, this rumor makes me most unhappy! The larger size of this pattern remains on my wish list because I simply haven’t yet needed to larger sizes. Based on what I’ve read on line, I’d hope an errata explaining how to customize the length or tailor the width of the shirt would be sufficient. Worst case, I’d much rather a nice, boy’s shirt pattern that needs some muslin testing than to not have a boy’s pattern at all!

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I finally found the original flickr post and I understand not wanting to do an errata, liesl, since it was your intention it is a untucked style, but perhaps a notes section explaining that or a blurb by the pattern on the website stating that it is meant to be a layering shirt, along with suggestions on how to modify for tucking. I only mention this because I feel people do buy the pattern ( myself included) thinking to make dress shirts and I would hate for them to be dissuaded/turned off from oliver + s patterns because it wasn’t as long as they thought, esp for first time or newer sewers who weren’t sure how to fix it. It is lovely and I have so many more shirts planned in my head for all our special occasions!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone,

As I said on Flickr yesterday, there are a number of errors in this pattern. Please be sure to check the errata page before you begin sewing.

The sizing is to spec–chest and neck measurements are actually a little roomy according to our measurement chart, because this is intended to be a loose-fitting, casual shirt–but it runs short, especially in the larger sizes.

I was intending a shirt that was not tucked in(as per the illustration) and kept it shorter for better proportions with the shorts. So the revised “correct” length all really depends on your preferences, I think. If you want a long shirt that can be tucked in you’ll need to add more length. I haven’t issued an errata for the length because you really will need to make a judgment call on this one. It’s not technically “wrong” but is a matter of preference.

If someone would like to put together some suggestions regarding lengthening amounts I’m sure it would be useful to other sewists. I would suggest comparing the finished length in the chart to other clothing your child owns, with a length you like, and making adjustments accordingly.

Cheers,

Liesl

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

I’d be really disappointed to see this one go. There are so few great patterns for boys around, and this is my favourite. It’s the pattern that really made me feel like a ‘proper’ sewer! I was – and still am – so proud of my first sketchbook shirt.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Nicole and all, I would be very grateful if you would put all the necessary changes into this thread or start a new one. I have purchased both sizes of the pattern. I had no idea at the time of purchasing the patterns that there were problems. Having all the alterations for fitting in one place will be wonderful.

Thank you,

Carol

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

As Liesl mentioned,there are not really problems,more preferences.

The shirt is a cropped style with the side seam sitting just above the waistband and the front and back curved hem skimming down over the waistband.

I have not made the smaller sizes up(although I purchased the pattern),so I cannot speak for that size.

On my son,the short was too short for his liking http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4547155349/ I bound the hem to get some extra length,it looked snappy and he did wear it but requested longer ones.

I lengthened the pattern at the side seam notches,by (approx 6 inches) and the sleeves by 1 inch. The body fit was/is perfect.

If you have a look in the sketchbook discussion there is more detail.

Perhaps some one who is a bit clever with computers could link it all up? I am happy for my comparison photos to be used.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I bought the sketchbook pattern before I had a daughter and have yet to even look at it. Much as those of us who don’t (didn’t for five years) have daughters want something nice to sew for our boys, I found that I simply didn’t enjoy the actual sewing of boy stuff. Maybe I’ll make the shirt one day for the sake of expanding my skills, but I don’t love shirts in funky quilting cotton prints and making a dress shirt in plain white or chambray or even plaid just doesn’t seem like fun, really. I might do those shorts at some point though, if I need them for a specific occasion like family photos or something. I did Sandbox pants in blue seersucker that they wore to an event and for a special family portrait.

I am making them ties for Easter, and think I’ll likely make them again. I have done the coat and may make that again because you get a lot of wear out of a coat. I will make special shorts or pants again and I plan to do the nature walk pullover and the explorer vest for the fall. It is true that there’s a lack of good patterns out there for boys, but if we’re honest, isn’t that because pants and shirts get a little dull after a while?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I can see how others would feel that way, but I really like to keep making the same little pair of sailboat pants over and over again, in pretty tame fabrics (and I have one kid, a girl). I guess I never met a chambray I didn’t like, or an undyed linen.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I only have boys and I love to sew for them. Though I don’t have much choice of whether to sew for a girl, I feel that having boys makes me stretch my creativity and reach out to find independent patterns like ottobre and oliver + s that I may never had found if I could walk into any store and find cute clothes, both RTW and cute fabrics at the fabric store. I love to play with tiny details since you can;t take as many risks with loud florals or as many colors. It is also fun to see how charming they can look in unconventional colors, purple, etc or vintage/classics styles that I would never had found for them at the store. I love sewing for my little boys and they are so appreciative of everything that I make not and picky at all, so I am truly blessed…

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Having wonderfully, detailed items to sew for boys is great! I purchased this pattern for three purposes. One, to grade up for my older boys; two, to use to combine with another pattern to create a different garment for baby gifts and three to make up for a charity. I figured the bonus would be that one day I will have grandsons I can sew for as well. 😉 Having four boys and only two girls, you get to wanting lovely things for your men.

I just needed to know the concern points for the pattern sizes so that I don’t have to invest more time to figure out issues.

I hope you keep producing boys patterns, Liesl.

Carol

LINK
    Anonymous @

I haven’t found sewing for my son to be dull – at least not yet! I love to make him handsome little things to wear. Most of what I find in the stores is not well made and it all looks the same. He loves to sit on my lap as I sew so that he can “help”. Don’t worry – he is well trained to keep his hands away from the needle! The smile on his face when he sees that I am sewing for him is priceless. He says things like “it is really nice for you to sew this shirt for me” and he’s only 3 yrs old. So sweet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.