Oliver + S

Storing Oliver + S patterns?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I would like to know how you all store your Oliver + S Patterns?

I would also like to know, do you use the paper dolls that come with the pattern, or do you keep them intact, stored with the pattern?

I have just started to really build my collection of patterns and keep hauling them around with me to read when I have time. They are starting to take abuse and I need to find a good system for them.

I laughed when I read somewhere that April thought they were so lovely she could store them on a bookshelf. I have thought similarly along this line. 🙂

Eagerly looking for solutions,

Carol

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Carol,I use my patterns many times so I need them to be sturdy!

After I received several damaged patterns(not from o+s)I decided to cut up the envelope into a front and back,I then laminated each piece and placed in a zip lock bag with the paper patterns and drafted patterns stored in between the laminated pieces. When I draft a size,I print a label and place on the front so I will know at a glance which sizes are ready to go!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4664886920/ my son purchased me this rack.

This is what they look like http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5389110681/in/pool-1563294@N24

One of many ,many options!

LINK

Wow, Nicole! You have started your own store. 🙂 What a fun way to display your beautiful patterns.

Nicole, I have had damage too, from shipping. Do you let your girls play with the paper dolls? I am assuming it’s the paper envelope you are laminating, is that correct?

I am a pattern ‘rescuer’ ;), and I have a very large vintage pattern collection, but those go in my sewing file drawers.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Carol

LINK
    gnashsewing @gnashsewing

I trace the size I need on freezer paper then store pattern and tracings in a zip lock bag. I then store them in a Rubbermaid bin with other patterns. This keeps them all together and dust free. I obviously don’t sew as much as mother of 5. Wow, what a great set up! I made a hole on the outer heavier sleeve of the pattern and have them hanging on my bulletin board so I can have a quick look at the picture and yardage requirements.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thankyou!

I am in the process of laminating the dolls and their clothes. I let my 7 year old play with them now and again but I must admit I am saving them to play with my granddaughters one day.

I think they are very special!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I was just thinking about this last week. I think when we finally buy a house (we put in an offer today *fingers crossed*), I want a bookshelf like this one for both my daughter’s room, AND my craft area for books and patterns: http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftcreativity/3578281634/

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I store my patterns in their original envelopes with the paper dolls still attached – I only take the patterns out for tracing and the directions when I’m sewing a particular garment. I’m very careful when refolding the actual patterns. I use interfacing to trace my patterns with, which then get put into a plastic sleeve in a large ring binder. Here’s a link of my pattern ‘storage’!:

O+S patterns

(I’ve now finished my dividers – and added in some more patterns!!!)

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Oh goodness! You all are so organized! Justmejay, I love that box with the dividers. And where did you get the plastic bags for your patterns? (I peeked around in your photostream! Stash envy here, btw) I think I might have to keep the traced patterns separate from the original pattern and directions as they are taking a bit of a beating with all the use.

LINK
    Anonymous @

How do you laminate them, Nicole? Do you have a machine or just use the kind you press on?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I immediately place mine in their own giant sized ziploc bag when I receive them. Fabric.com used to be good about sending patterns in their own individual plastic bags, but the last 2 I received from them were just stuffed into a package and the inventory sticker was placed RIGHT ON the little boy and girl!! I nearly died! I don’t cut my patterns, but trace the sizes I need and keep them stored inside the ziploc bags as well. Now I’m building up though so I need to come up with a new system for better organization. I’ve been thinking a large 3 ringed binder might be best for me. I can keep it on the bookshelf and my daughter is less likely to be interested in a boring white binder than an open bin with pretty patterns!

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Interesting post!

I’ve gotten patterns shipped from different suppliers, and when they are sent in a plastic bag, I keep them in there! I put my others in ziplocs too. So all my O&S patterns are protected in their own bags with the paper doll sleeve intact around them. I keep all the patterns in a storage bin in my sewing room. My daughter is just 2, so I’ll wait til she gets older to play with the paperdolls.

When I trace a pattern, I write the size and name of the pattern on the outside of a really large envelope and store them in there.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

In an effort to better organize our home office/sewing room/guest room, I recently embarked on this task as well! I have a bin that I got from Target that is the perfect size for putting the pattern envelopes in on their side. Once the pattern is traced it goes in a large envelope that is labeled with what the name of the pattern and the size that is traced and those go in another bin. So I have 2 bins for pattern organization. Some of the paper doll sleeves are still around the patterns and some are just at the front of my pattern bin. I have cut out one paper doll for my (now 3 year old) daughter. She was a little young for it at the time, but she really wanted the doll and it was either cut her out or let her play with the pattern- I think that I made the right choice. 🙂 I like Nicole’s idea of laminating them…

Now if I could only figure out fabric organization!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I have an idea for fabric organization. I got the idea from I don’t know where and it works out great. I bought up comic book boards which come in packs of 100 for under $15. They are lightweight cardboard that are around 8-1/2″ (or 10″) by 11″. I wrap and fold my fabric around them like a bolt in the store and put them on shelves according to fabric type and color. It’s so much easier to see my stash now that they are out of totes and are more upright. I love for the fact that it sort of adds color to the room they’re in and serve almost as art. I also have hanging shelves in the closet next to it to put my thrift store finds on, such as sheets and shirts. I love using vintage sheets, or clearance sheets for fabric. I’ve organized my scraps in bins according to amount that’s left. Larger amounts in one tote, and smaller scraps in another, and ones that we’ll use for random crazy crafts for my daughter in a ziploc bag. I also put all of my pattterns in a tote, with cards separating them out by type like a recipe box. My Ottobre and internet tutes go into a 3-ring binder and are labeled by type as well.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

It looks like most people on here are a little more organized than myself:-/ I keep the original patterns in the original envelope and have a manila envelope for each pattern that I put the traced copies into.Every time I trace a new size I write it on the front of the envelope so I know at a glance what sizes I have. I have cut out a few of the paper dolls for my girls to play with but they kinda proved they’re not quite old enough yet, so I’m saving them for later. As for storing the patterns, they’re all neatly lined up in the bottom cupboard of my nightstand, a pretty safe place because my children all know that Mommy’s nightstand is sacred unto Mommy!

LINK

I trace all my patterns as well. I store my pattern sheets back in the original envelopes and put the traced copies in large ziplock bags and label the bag. I write on every traced piece of pattern the pattern company name, pattern number and size I have traced off. 🙂 I have had pieces of my pattern on the floor and need to find the right home. 😉 I use ‘trace a pattern’ which is like a very light weight interfacing. I suspect I could wash it. It is very similar to ‘swedish tracing paper’ http://www.birchstreetclothing.com/group.php?itemID=9036&colID=28

I put a couple pictures of my pattern storage and sewing room on photobuckets. The pattern storage has been moved to a different room to give me more room in the sewing room. I have children who want to work in that room, too. 🙂 The cabinets that hold my fabric are the Pax system from Ikea with mirrored doors. It reflects the sunshine in the room, beautifully. Here is a link to my photobucket pictures: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/violaisabelle/Sewing%20room/

Nicole, I am interested in what you do for laminating the dolls, too. 🙂 I really like that idea.

I suspect these patterns are going to be more ‘out in the open’ to continually work on them and for inspiration. 🙂

Carol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.