Oliver + S

starting on the trench coat – pondering fabric choices

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I went with organic purple twill with red binding on the seams. I’ve finished putting together the pieces. Now I need to hem, buttonhole, and attach buttons and belt loops. I’m nervous about the button holes. There will be a practice placket in my future.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Will you post a photo when you have it finished? It sounds cute.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

I’ve been promising my daughter this jacket since the fall. I took her fabric shopping with me today and the only fabric we could find that was the right colour and weight was a heavy ponte de roma. (It’s crazy that I couldn’t find anything else because she wants beige so she can pretend to be a detective. We even went to two stores.)

If she hadn’t been with me, I don’t think I would have bought the ponte de roma but I did and now I’m wondering if it will work. Has anyone made this in a knit? It doesn’t have a tonne of stretch but it does have some. I don’t want to put in the time I know this will take if the fabric isn’t going to be suitable!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Ponte de roma is pretty stable. I noticed that Gap and Old Navy are making a lot of blazers out of heavier knit. I hadn’t thought about it, but I bet it would be a comfy, cozy jacket.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you interface well and perhaps use a thin strip(of interfacing) on the seams(especially the shoulder seams)it would have a lovely drape.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

thanks for the help, I’m going to go for it. I’m sure it will be comfy and as an added bonus, it wont wrinkle! Maybe next time I can convince her to agree to a patterned twill — I could’ve bought lots of that today :).

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

the non ironing sounds like reason enough to go ahead. I made my beige spy coat (and matching hat) out of a cotton/poly/nylon blend that was dirt cheap but gosh it wrinkles.

We had a lot of fun with the coat and hat and P still wants his magnifying glass whenever he wears the coat…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7934810762/in/photostream

LINK
    Mel @Mel

oh that’s too cute! I’m going to have to make her a hat, too. She wants a detective/spy theme for her birthday party (in June, she plans ahead!), magnifying glasses would be good for the loot bags.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What is ponte de Roma?

LINK
    Mel @Mel

Sorry Sarvi, missed this — it’s a heavy knit that doesn’t have too much stretch.

I’ve finished the coat and it looks okay, not a crisp as i would like because the fabric doesn’t hold a crease but not too bad. It was actually suprisingly easy to work with.

My problem now is the button holes. I’m using a size 14 ball point needle and my automatic buttonhole foot/setting but the fabric is not feeding through. I don’t know if my poor old bottom-of-the-line Kenmore just doesn’t have the oomph to go through two layers of fabric + interfacing or if I’m doing something wrong. Any suggestions??

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Maybe make manual button holes? or even use snaps inside with the buttons sew on the outer layer? It seems that some automatic buttonhole feet dislike thick fabric and/or seams.

good luck.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Ah yes, the automatic buttonhole foot. Seemed like such an amazing feature! But I think it has cost me more swearing than happiness. Mine doesnt work on thicker fabrics either. I have to make the buttonholes manually. Practic on scraps, write down all your settings and mark carefully. I would also use a square of fusible behind each hole.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.