Oliver + S

SOS Liesl-Help Fitting A Fashion Conscious Pre-Teen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Dear Liesl,

How fitted is fitted in this case? My (nearly)12 year old would like the Seashore dress made for her First Communion dress. Her chest is 26 1/2 ”(size 8) her waist 22 1/2 ”(size 6) and her hips 30”(size 10).

I am considering the 8. Do you think that would be would be the go? Or would that struggle over her bottom?

Thank you in advance.

PS Anyone else who has made this in a similar size feel free to jump in.

I really do not want to make a muslin for a child’s dress.

Thanks

Nicole

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I have not made this dress, so feel free to disregard what I am sharing. 🙂 Did you take a close look at the finished garment measurements to see if the ease and length is where your daughter will be most comfortable based on other garments you have made for her? If you are not planning to have a shirt of any kind underneath this dress, which I know was designed with that in mind, than I might attempt to do the following, based on your daughter’s measurements and age. I would probably cut a size 10 in length everywhere and then I would cut a size 8 across the upper chest area. There are several style lines in this garment where you can easily take it in if your daughter finds it a bit too large.

You will want the neckline area to fit well, not falling off the shoulders (size 8) but you want the length, the shoulder to bust point ( I realize she doesn’t probably have much of one) but you want that length in there as it will also make the armscye fit better.

Before adding the facings, I might be inclined to do a test fit to make sure the length from shoulder, to apex gives enough room through the armscye for your daughter. Since the pattern was designed to be worn without a shirt underneath, I am *guessing* that the armscye is a little higher than other garments.

I bet you will make this dress look smashing when it’s all done. I look forward to seeing your creation. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you for all the suggestions Carol,I can hear you tutting and saying ‘Make a muslin you lazy girl’. My sewing time is so limited at the moment I need to make every second count.

My daughter would like it quite fitted through the bodice,I had even wondered about putting in a side zip? I don’t really mind if she only wears it once,there are two more little girls coming through.

I must admit I went on body measurements not finished garment,I will have a look for those.

I like you suggestion of fitting before facings,that may be the go.

If I have time I will knock up a play version.

Thank you Carol,this is indeed your forte.

Nicole

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Aw, Nicole! You made me laugh! That’s not quite was I was thinking….but I was thinking of that wonderful muslin. 🙂

It’s funny you suggest the zipper, I was going to suggest that as well, but I was going to say to do it at center back. I saw a jumper at Lands’ End, last week, that has this very similar styling, which made me think of the back zip. Here’s the link to that jumper: http://www.landsend.com/pp/SidePleatSolidBlendedJumper~178696_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::KHA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Girls-_-DressesSkirtsSkorts&origin=index . Having the zipper on the side might work well, too. It will definitely be more hidden, but an invisible zipper at center back might give more room in getting the dress on and off.

I definitely understand the shortness on time to sew and wanting to get things done. I am at a place in life where my children are just starting to ‘change’ shapes, so I have to go a little slower and do the muslins, if I want the garments to fit properly. 🙂 When I invest all that time and effort into garments, I find taking that little extra to make the muslin in the end, pays off. I write all over it ( I use unbleached muslin) and then I keep it with my traced off patterns and any notations of changes I have made. If I ever make that size again, I can quickly baste up the garment and check fit before moving forward.

I hope the sewing fairy gives you lots of sewing time to get all your projects done. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    deedee @deedee

Hi all,

I just finished this dress for my 10 year old. I went with the size 12 since it is nearly the end of the summer – I want it to fit next year too!

For the Original Poster – my daughter is on the slim size (wears size 10 slim gap jeans) and the width fits her nicely, the length is a little long though. I don’t know if that helps you. I think in general the O+S patters are made for slim to normal sized children. They don’t run wide like the Simplicity of other big brand does.

One tip I’d include, if your girl has a developing body, would be to either extend the front facing longer down – so it’s more like the length of a shelf bra (and match the back as well). I had to add to the facing for my daughter because it went right above her chest and the thin quilting cotton was a bit too revealing.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Fantastic tips deedee,that is soooo helpful!

Thank you Thank you!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Finally got to cutting a toile and I went with the size 8 with the length of the 12.

I am very pleased as is my daughter. I took a cm or so off all the seams above the waist as we wanted it quite fitted. If I make it for play I will go with the standard size 8 with a little length.

The pattern was completely true to her measurements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6021967508/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6021968784/in/photostream/

Thanks for all the help!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sorry for the silence during my absence. It looks like this turned out very nicely!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hope you had a good holiday Liesl and,yes,so far so good!

Thank you.

LINK
    Florence Taylor @FlorenceTaylor

@motherof5 hi Nicole as always your post and blog page have been my go to..i just got the pattern well because of shelley aka @lightningmcstitch lol and her awesome fb post , then the twins saw it and fell hard , then they after school today went on your blog ( yes its their go to also and boom the fact that your twins wore it was a no brainer for them to have. I had a question and maybe if I right it out it will make sense ..the girls are wild about sleeves, bishop , tulip and even spilt sleeves they saw on a art gallery lookbook post. can you think of a way to modify this dress to accommodate or alter another pattern but keeping the side, gathers and pockets that’s what they actually love about the dress and the bodice curve. ok ty ND hPPY NEW YEAR

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How about sizing up and then making a blouse or top to wear under it?

LINK
    Florence Taylor @FlorenceTaylor

@motherof5 HI NICOLE DEAR AND HAPPY NEW YEAR , yes we thought of that , but they seems determined like only pisces twins can be that this must have sleeves lol @lightningmcstitch gave me a great suggestion to use my building block book ( which I plan to diligently look over now). In the interim my one twin does drafting and came up with an idea after seeing a few fb post of doing a tulip sleeve and attaching from the bottom so when closed it will have that tulip shape up top, she also thought about spilt sleeve that she saw on the art gallery lookbook for the dollhouse fabric collection. In any event I might be able to stall them by making other items and then poof it’ll be warm and I can do it the standard way lol. ty for the help.
    ps do you know another way to log into flickr without a yahoo account

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@florencetaylor Happy New Year to you too!

I did get locked out of Flickr and my son got me back in. I will ask him how he did it. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.