Oliver + S

Sizing help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of LauraBLauraB @LauraB

My princess of a daughter has suddenly decided that she really loves shorts after refusing to wear anything that doesn’t twirl for 6 years. I’m rushing to make her a couple of pairs before the school holidays.

Could anyone advise on sizing for the class picnic shorts? She is measuring a 23” waist and 25” hip. The size charts suggest a size 7 for waist and size 5 for hip. How much flare do they have? Can I get away with just cutting a 7, or a 6 with size 7 length and slightly longer elastic?

She has always fitted O+S like a glove for her size, but she has suddenly gone all leggy. This is the first time I’ve really had to think about sizing!

LINK
    Profile photo of with love Heidiwith love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would go by the hip measurement. I always use hip measurement for choosing pants, shorts or skirt patterns because the kids I sew for all wear them at the hip rather than the waist. But if you are concerned maybe go up to the 6 and take the elastic in. I don’t think you can go to far wrong 🙂

LINK
    Profile photo of NicoleNicole @motherof5

They are not that full, they are a lovely fitting short.

I think you would be fine making size 6. You would have ease for waist and room for hips and the length should be spot on.

I did a tute if you would like a peep before sewing. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143875180630/

LINK
    Profile photo of Cat75Cat75 @Cat75

These are my daughter’s favorite shorts. Last spring I made a size 6 with added length. I couldn’t figure out how to do that by just adding to the bottom because of the curved facing. So I followed this tutorial

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

I hope that helps.

I did try to just make the size 7 first, but by the time I made the elastic tight enough she had a big pouf in the back.

Jennifer

LINK
    Profile photo of LauraBLauraB @LauraB

You are all brilliant – thanks so much. I’ll go the 6 and do a quick measurement to see if I need extra length.

cheers

Laura

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.