Oliver + S

Sizing help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    LauraB @LauraB

My princess of a daughter has suddenly decided that she really loves shorts after refusing to wear anything that doesn’t twirl for 6 years. I’m rushing to make her a couple of pairs before the school holidays.

Could anyone advise on sizing for the class picnic shorts? She is measuring a 23” waist and 25” hip. The size charts suggest a size 7 for waist and size 5 for hip. How much flare do they have? Can I get away with just cutting a 7, or a 6 with size 7 length and slightly longer elastic?

She has always fitted O+S like a glove for her size, but she has suddenly gone all leggy. This is the first time I’ve really had to think about sizing!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I would go by the hip measurement. I always use hip measurement for choosing pants, shorts or skirt patterns because the kids I sew for all wear them at the hip rather than the waist. But if you are concerned maybe go up to the 6 and take the elastic in. I don’t think you can go to far wrong 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

They are not that full, they are a lovely fitting short.

I think you would be fine making size 6. You would have ease for waist and room for hips and the length should be spot on.

I did a tute if you would like a peep before sewing. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143875180630/

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

These are my daughter’s favorite shorts. Last spring I made a size 6 with added length. I couldn’t figure out how to do that by just adding to the bottom because of the curved facing. So I followed this tutorial

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

I hope that helps.

I did try to just make the size 7 first, but by the time I made the elastic tight enough she had a big pouf in the back.

Jennifer

LINK
    LauraB @LauraB

You are all brilliant – thanks so much. I’ll go the 6 and do a quick measurement to see if I need extra length.

cheers

Laura

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.