Oliver + S

Sizing Advice for a 3 year old

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    jessmiester @jessmiester

I am making the Playdate dress. My daughter is three and all of her measurements fall in the 18-24 month size except her height. She is 37″ tall. Do you think that it would be easier to make a 2T and lengthen the sleeves and dress or a 3T and just give her some growing room? I don’t mind some extra room in the dress but she has petite shoulders as well and I want the top to fit.

Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I love this little dress and I have just cut out two for my daughters. It is a shorter dress by design(look at the pattern packet) and the neck opening can be a little snug if you children have larger heads(mine do).

My girls are small so I tend to make the size they measure well for(2T in your case) and I sew a slightly larger seam allowance at the neck to make sure it fits over their head. I add length to the hem,keeping the a-line,and then add the extra width to the facing.

I hope this is some help.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Kids measurements can be quite confusing when it comes to patterns can’t they? I haven’t made this dress for my daughter – she grew out of the sizes too quickly so I have to enlarge the pattern to make her one but I did make the dress in the smallest size just to see how the pattern went.

If your little girl’s measurements fall into the 2T size but she is tall then it would be fine to make the 2T with a 3T length. However, if her measurements are at the top end of the 2T size, then I would be inclined to make her the 3T. She will be able to wear it for a while that way and you could also get a feel for how it will fit on her.

Both my children are very tall and I’m forced to sized just about everything up for my daughter because of this. But her measurements fall at the top end of size 10 so the 12 is a better fit for some reason.

If your little girl doesn’t like tight things then I would go for the bigger size. If you are really unsure, do a toile first to check and go with that.

Hope this helps.

Tamara

LINK
    homefire @homefire

I have two petite daughters so I usually (for dresses and shirts) start at the chest measurement and lengthen or shorten from there. Good luck and I’m sure it will be lovely!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I am not sure where my daughter’s(also 3- will be 4 in December) measurements fall, but I am sure that they are not larger than the 18-24 mo size- except for her height. She is 37 or 38 in tall, I think. My kids also have small heads. For her, I made the 3T size. I wanted a tunic, so I actually shortened a bit. I tend to prefer that her clothes me roomier and then they last for a long time. I can measure her when she wakes up from her nap. She still easily fits into 2T, but I tend to make 3 T now because I am sure they will last for a while- lately, they are lasting me a whole year!

Anyway…here is a picture of her in the playdate that I made this past spring. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/5795471644/in/photostream

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.