Oliver + S

sewing question…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

what should I do when the fabric stops feeding when the needle meets a thick, perpendicular seam? for example, this sometimes happens when I’m sewing a hem and there are french side seams. thanks!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What I do is that I stop, lift the presser foot, pull back the fabric manually a stitch’s worth, lower it again and do the next stitch, and repeat until I’m over the hump. If I’m not being lazy, I’ll take out the little gadget that looks like a tiny plastic tuning fork which came with my machine and is specifically for going over fat seams. Be careful when you’re past the thick part, sometimes the back end of the presser for is still tilted up a bit and sometimes the needle can ding it and break. This happened to me once and made me quite glad I’m four-eyed.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I have a mechanical machine (not electronic) and so I just lift the presser foot a bit, sometimes lighten the pressure to a “2” and then I use the wheel on the side to get over, and past the hump.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

thanks for the tips! katie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.