Oliver + S

Sewing an Oliver & S top or dress with cotton linen fabric

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I want to sew an Oliver & S top or dress with cotton linen. I have two cotton linens from Kokka 85% cotton and 15% linen and they seem very heavy and perhaps scratchy for a top or a dress? I read that they are a bottom weight fabric. I have them washed and dried but I just am not sure about using them.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I haven’t used them for a top, but I’ve done bottoms and tote bags and I’m fairly familiar with the fabric. I’d be hesitant to use the cotton-linen for a shirt, but it could make a nice jumper that you’re planning to put a shirt under. Think of it like denim or corduroy – probably too heavy for a shirt, but it would be a nice fall-weight jumper.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I have some similar fabric that I bought with a top or dress in mind, but deemed it too rough for non-layered wear. I think those fabrics are really great though and imagine they’d be wonderful for a layering, especially with the cooler weather coming. A layered popover sounds really adorable.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Why do you want to make a top or dress, specifically? Is it because you’re worried you won’t showcase the fabric enough if made up as a backpack or trousers/shorts? Maybe you could try something like a Sunday Brunch jacket/skirt? I could see something like the Music Box jumper also working — the bodice is lined and the skirt stands away from the body a bit.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Sarvi makes an excellent point! Can’t believe I forgot the Sunday Brunch (smacks head!!)! That jacket is adorable on little ones. I think your grand daughter is the same age as my little girl, so I know it’ll work out well.

I don’t have the MB pattern, so not surprised I didn’t think of that one, but it’d be nice too…with the little patch pockets.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I used some similar material for an ice cream dress for my daughter (http://flic.kr/p/9j7c7p) and I lined it with a light muslin (http://flic.kr/p/9j7esc) because I felt it was too scratchy as well. The bubble dress also has a full lining, so that might be a possibility as well.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you for all of the ideas I will start to envision the patterns you suggested in this fabric. Sarvi this fabric has a cute pattern on it and I just had my heart set on using it for an Oliver & S top or dress. JohannaO beautiful dress and I see where using a lining is an option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.