Oliver + S

School Days raincoat-underlining?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I couldn’t find anything about this in an existing thread. I’m about to start a raincoat in a pretty light laminated cotton with a flannel lining. I’ve never worked with this fabric before and am concerned that the coat won’t have enough body, but I see many versions in the Flickr pool that look great. Should it be fine or does it require some sort of underlining to stiffen it up a bit?

Wendy 🙂

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Actually, having looked at it again I think the seam allowance will give it enough structure. I was worried about the hood in particular but I think it’ll be o.k.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi there — sorry about being slow to respond — I made this in laminated cotton with a shot cotton lining, very light and not warm, but just fine for keeping the rain off. It didn’t seem to cry out for any more structure, but I was expecting it to be pretty floppy.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think it could be quite heavy and uncomfortable with the lining and an underlining, especially in warmer weather. The lightweight laminates are actually a really nice fabric for this jacket, and they’re a lot easier to sew than some of the more traditional, heavier laminates. Have fun!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.