Oliver + S

Sailboat for Boys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

I note that the Sailboat pattern is listed as unisex, but most of the pics and reviews I have found seem to have been made up for girls.

I really like the look of this pattern, but I have two very rough and tumble boys and worry it might be a bit … dress-uppy. (Sorry, not quite sure the best way to describe this)

What are people’s experience with making this pattern for boys – types of fabric used, wearability?

Thanks,

Wendy

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made the top for my son from a stripy knit with red stretch denim trousers(I can’t find a photo of the trousers).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5444046339/in/set-72157625138776927 .

If I had another boy,this would be a go-to pattern for me.

~Nicole~

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I made a version for my daughter in a plaid flannel that could be considered unisex. It’s pretty cozy and practical in the flannel.

Cotton flannel Sailboat Top

And one for my nephew in a more playful print:

Sailboat top and Sandbox pants, both size 18-24 months.

He’s a year old and it looks casual and cute on him. I wish I had a photo of it on.

Love your stripy version, Nicole. I’ve finally set aside some stripy knit to make one for Henna. I really like this top done up in stripes.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I adore your baby boy version Wendy,cluck cluck CLUCK!

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I made it for my little boy and it was fine. šŸ™‚ I say go for it!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve just made one out of some leftover fabric for my little nephew, an I think it looks very boy-ish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7980972082/in/photostream

LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

Thanks for the replies, and links. I’ve since figured out how to (sort of) search the flikr pool, and found some really cool examples in there too.

I was mostly interested in examples of pants, and it seems the answer is denim, drill or in corduroy.

Off to give this some more thought … or more likely, add it to my shopping basket šŸ˜‰

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I love this pattern for my baby boy! They fit great and are easy dressing. I love the style of this pattern, I have so many ideas for it. I would make my older boys some tops but have yet to buy the bigger pattern.Maybe this next spring…

LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

Here’s a pair of the Sailboat pants I made for my son last summer, out of a fun linen pirate print: http://www.flickr.com/photos/audreytoo/sets/72157631679875292/

He was three at the time, tall and skinny so I made up the size 2T with an extra inch added to the length. I used buttonhole elastic (just leave the elastic channel open instead of stitching it down), and at age four he is still wearing these (they hit just below the knee)!

I’m always looking for sewing ideas for boys, would love to see what you come up with. šŸ™‚

Audrey

LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

Thanks, highpowermom for sharing your photos. My 4yo was nearby when I was looking at them, and thinks he would now like his own pirate pants! I guess the sailboat pants have just moved up the list.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I suppose it’s ok for an older baby or toddler. Little babies don’t like things pulled over their heads. It has a sort of vintage French child look to it in the right fabrics, I suppose, but honestly, it always looked a little girly to me and I never made it for my boys. They are pretty boy. But Nicoles version is sharp!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Melanie.

Hugo is a ‘prettier’ boy(he would kill me for saying that)! and could carry of a less then butch look.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I love this pattern for a boy. If I had a son I would make it for him. I have thought about making it as a gift for a nephew and haven’t because I thought maybe his father would not like it and think it is feminine. For my son it would be fine. I think making it with brown cord and then a muted green or orange boyish knit print or solid would be really cute. I like the top a lot better in a knit. It is much more comfortable. I love Nicole’s’ version, too. Hugo is such a cool boy. Have you looked at the Project Run and Play sewing for boys Flicker photos? Those little boys are so cute!

LINK
    highpowermom @highpowermom

I haven’t tried the top. I don’t think it’s too girly if you go with the sailing theme like Nicole, and I also really like the “two layer” effect by Lightning McStitch (and your username, too!). I might actually try that one. The pants I adore, and am going to make them up for winter as full length pants, in twill and cord.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

šŸ™‚ thank you. I have to credit my husband for the username.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.