Oliver + S

Reinforced Knees

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

I am planning to make the cargo pants for my son and was wanting to reinforce the knees as he has been much harder on his pants since he started school.

I was thinking to add a layer of fusible interfacing to the darted knee section of the front leg, or perhaps underlining with a second layer of the main fabric (or another fabric?)

Would this be a good way to go, or is there a better idea I haven’t thought of?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Wenznz,when my son was little I double layered all his trousers and still do with his work ones!

I always went with the underlining in the same fabric,it made it tougher AND if he wore through the top layer I could snip the worn bit off and applique (wide small length zigzag) stitch the raw edge so they still looked presentable.

It may make the darts a bit thick but if you tap them with a clean hammer before sewing them it should be fine.

~Nicole~

I am sure there are other ways and I would love to hear them too!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I reinforced the knees on the pink ones I made my girl. I just cut a second knee piece and sewed it on to the inside, sandwiching the upper and lower leg pieces between so there are no raw edges on the inside.

I also top stitched the darts to each other to keep the two layers together.

It worked perfectly. Let me know if I was unclear 🙂

LINK
    wenznz @wenznz

Thanks for your thoughts – I’m pleased to know I was on the right track.

Lattemama, that’s a great idea to sandwich the upper and lower pieces between the double knees! I will definitely be trying that

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Funny you should mention this. I just turned a pair of S’s skinny Lands’ End jeans (the only jeans that fit her!) inside out the other day and was surprised to see the knee area was interfaced. I would imagine that it reinforced the jeans AND helps prevent the fabric from stretching out a lot in the knee area. I think that either interfacing or a double layer would work really well!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about using leather for the knee panel? Last time I went to my local leather place they had a bucket of smallish pieces that were either free or a few dollars each. I wonder if the leather would help the knees last longer?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, I LOVE iron knees from Lands End. Finally, something my son doesn’t put holes in! I wonder if they’d ever share their secret formula? Lol

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have just made my forth pair with a double layer of fabric at the knees. This time I made up a tutorial if anyone else wants to see how I do it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/9388132317/in/pool-oliverands

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.