Oliver + S

Playtime for bigger kids?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I’m making a Playtime dress for my 5yo right now and would like to make one for my 8yo too. She’s almost 9 and I wonder if it is too young for her. She does wear a lot of knit dress & legging combos but when I search in the flickr group I’m not seeing any Playtimes on bigger kids except for the tunic worn by S in the original blog post, which I do love. Maybe I just need to be content with the tunic length? Has anyone made the actual dress for a bigger kid (say, 3rd grade or up)?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made it for my 12 year niece in a woven https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/11699077215/in/set-72157639069976074

I do have a tute too, if you would like a peep http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73676143878416947/

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t yet, but I have plans to make it for my friends girls who are 8 and 9 year old.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have! I made one last year for my then eleven year old (she’s now 12). I shortened the sleeves because of our summer heat and used a knit. She wore it around the house and then decided it was so comfy, she used it as her nightie.

I keep meaning to make another one….

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

If the empire waist feels a little too young you could always lower it a bit. That would keep it very much in line with current dresses for the pre-teen to 20’s age group!

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I’ve found with my 11 year old that she doesn’t mind a tunic top if the length hits her right around the hip. Short enough to be “cool” with leggings or skinny jeans, but not long enough to feel like a baby doll dress. (My only requirement with leggings is that her bum be covered!)

Accessories are wonderful, too. Add a scarf or use fun details for the collar top stitching like the pearly detail in Liesl’s pink sweat shirt knit version, or use a metallic thread to add bling. I’ve been thinking about making one with sheer sleeves and a more lux fabric for the bodice and skirt for the holidays.

You could really go crazy with fun leggings details- shirred ankles with a blingy button or sequin edge, add a stretch lace trim, use a cool stretch lace with a longer skirt length.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by KarenK. Reason: added info
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by KarenK. Reason: mistakes
    LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

Karen, I love all your ideas!! Making mental notes to use a couple of them after I get all my Christmas sewing done 😉

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

FUN! Please do! I hope I get a chance to try them, too! My head spins with ideas but there are never enough hours in the day.

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

Okay, cool. Thanks for all the ideas! Nicole, I love the photo of your niece and she looks very grown up in the dress. I laughed when I clicked on the link to your sheep dress because I became completely obsessed with it a few weeks ago! I couldn’t find the fabric in the dark grey but did in pink which my 5yo loved. Too bad the Playtime I already made for her was a pink polka-dot!

Liesl, I may try dropping the waist. I assume I just add some length to the bodice pattern pieces?

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.