Oliver + S

placement of the waist trim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    Jaime Laugelli @Jaime Laugelli

Should the waist trim be sewed on top of the waist seam or just above it? Any suggestions?

thanks-

Jaime

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I would be inclined to slightly cover the waist seam, but not to flatten out the gathers. I guess it depends on what kind of trim you use and what looks good to you.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I went half and half and liked it.

LINK
    sarahb @sarahb

I did just above the seam, the bottom of the trim skims the seam and it looks like a belt.

LINK
    cclements33 @cclements33

This may be a silly question, but how exactly do you hand sew the trim to the dress? Not sure how to proceed! I guess I could wing it but would feel more comfortable with direction on how to stitch it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I know what I do but I am not sure what it is called….

I stitch a small stitch into the sash ( 2mm) and that goes to a longer running stitch in the dress lining (1 cm), pulling so it is firm but does not pucker.

I will see if I can find a picture for you.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Will these help?

LINK
    cclements33 @cclements33

That does help. But when you say you go through the lining, do you mean you also go through both layers? So small stitch into sash, long stitch in both layers of dress?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Perhaps into the dress but have it hidden inside the lining?
    Sorry , on my phone

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I was considering this very problem yesterday, and I have an idea, though I haven’t tried it yet. For the dress I’m making, I sew the bodice down last by topstitching it over the seam that attaches the lining to the skirt. I used to do the reverse, but in this pattern I’m good enough that I get very good topstitching on the lining side, too. Okay, so I decided I wanted to attach a ribbon to the seam. My idea is that before I topstitch the bodice I would do a basting stitch instead, but I’d sew that basting stitch about an eighth of an inch above where I will be doing the topstitching. Then I would remove my pins and slip the ribbon just under the lip that of the bodice, then do the topstitching on the bodice, which catches the ribbon. For the ribbon ends, I’d fold them neatly before insertion into the bodice. I’m going to try it on my next one. Best of luck.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I forgot to say to remove the basting after, but I’m sure you knew that. I was just thinking more about this, and I think with a smooth ribbon, this might possibly cause it to pucker some. I’ll have to try it to see, and of course it may depend on the ribbon. But it ought to work very well with lace or or flat piping or firm trims. Okay, just thinking aloud here…

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by BeckyinFL.
    LINK
    cclements33 @cclements33

Becky it sounds like you are far more an expert at sewing than I am! I hope to see photos in the flikr pool!

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Gal, I don’t know about that, but I do love to talk about it!

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I tried it, and it worked fine. Here is a photo series:

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by BeckyinFL.
    LINK
    Anonymous @

I think it’s called a blind stitch? Liesl has nice instructions on at least one of her button down shirt/blouse patterns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.