Oliver + S

Oil cloth and Laminate Fabric

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    littlegirlkat @littlegirlkat

I made a winter coat version of this and now want to do the raincoat. I’m having trouble finding fabric that I like for my daughter. Is oil cloth the same as laminate? And will both work as well for a raincoat? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have this pattern but haven’t used it yet – I’d had ideas of doing the raincoat version also. I’m not really familiar with oilcloth and I haven’t worked with laminated fabrics but I am assuming that laminate is slightly lighter and more pliable (anyone chime in here in case I am giving misleading information). I know that both can be used for raincoats but I think oilcloth is more for things like tablecloths and outdoor furnishings.

It has something to do with the manufacturing process I think where laminated fabric is better to use on apparel because of this reason. I may be wrong as I have never used either so I’m basing this partly on assumption, reading and what I have heard through others.

Gosh I hope I haven’t confused you further… it’s a great question to ask.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

hi there

if you go WAY back on the forums for this jacket you will see there was heaps of discussion about this and even a blog post on it too. My experience is that oilcloth is stiffer, but sometimes people use the names interchangeably when selling so it is hard to be sure – all the Michael Miller, Echino and Free Spirit ones are laminates that have relatively decent drape – although the Echino is laminate on a home dec base so it is thicker. You could use oilcloth for a jacket but it will be pretty “crunchy” and not have much drape if you know what I mean! I have to say compared to when this pattern came out there is now so much more choice in this area – at the time it was really a choice of different polka dots!!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve seen “raincoat” fabric at Hartsfabric.com. Maybe have a loom at that? I’ve made this in wool at a workshop with Liesl. Other people were seeing with laminates lined with quilting cotton. There are some different tricks to sewing with laminate because pinholes are permanent, but the pattern works for laminate.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone,

Just a quick answer to this question. Oilcloth is traditionally a woven fabric that’s been “impregnated” with oil, I think usually linseed oil. However, contemporary oilcloths are usually more of a laminate but are quite heavy. Laminates are also a woven fabric but have a clear layer of coating on top of the woven fabric. Thicknesses vary quite a bit, depending on the base cloth and on the type of coating.

I know that our Modern Workshop laminates are very lightweight, and the fabric is impregnated with the waterproof coating so it’s actually a part of the fabric (the two layers aren’t separate, so you can’t peel them apart like you can with some laminates). Some of the Westminster/Free Spirit laminates are a similar weight and hand. I’m not sure about the content of these coatings, but I know that the Modern Workshop laminate is PU coated, which is safer for children and doesn’t contain all those nasty pthththalates (you know what I’m talking about, right?)

I find this quality to be much easier to sew with than the “oilcloth” fabrics, especially at the sleeve caps. And I also don’t do much of anything special when I sew them. I use a slightly longer stitch length.

Hope that helps!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh Liesl, so glad to know the laminates are made safer for kiddos. This is something I was curious and concerned about! Thanks for the info.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I do most of my shopping online, but I saw the MW laminates in a shop a while back and was quite knocked out by the quality. If you’re not super excited about laminates, I would suggest handling them in a shop. It’s not at all what I thought they’d be like. They’re very much nicer in person.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.