Oliver + S

New Coat Pattern–Laminated Cotton?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

What a delight to wake up this morning, knowing it was the 13th and seeing that, yes, in fact the sneak peak on the fall patterns had been posted! hurray! what a sweet dress and coat.

So for the coat, would laminated cotton work? I like the print selection available in this material (like found here: http://warmbiscuit.com/laminated-cotton-fabric.html and here: http://buntefabrics.com/catalog.php?item=202&catid=36&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D36)

Now to wait for September 3rd. Three. More. Weeks.

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

Lizabeth, I am pretty darn sure that the coat pictured on the Oliver+S blog is also made of laminated cotton. Have you ever worked with it before? It’s pretty easy. Usually only one side is laminate-coated, and it has a nice drape. A teflon foot helps, but I usually cheat and stick some scotch tape to the bottom of my regular presser foot to help with drag.

My order of pink and brown dot laminated cotton is already on its way. Three. More. Weeks.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

How much of the cotton did you order, norasroom? I’m loving the aqua dots but I’m not sure how much to get. Do you think 2 yards is enough, given that there’s a roomy and long body, long sleeves, and a hood? I’m thinking I’ll make size 2T.

Also, has anyone seen bright yellow laminated cotton or oilcloth? I think the raincoat would be adorable in iconic yellow but I haven’t seen the right fabric at any local fabric stores (Seattle) or online.

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

I ordered two yards for a size 3T. I may have to do a single layer layout, but I can pretty much squeeze blood from a stone when it comes to yardage, so hopefully it’ll be enough!

Good lord, if you can’t buy yellow raincoat fabric in Seattle, where are you supposed to find it? 😉

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

Oh, Fabric.com has oilcloth in solid taxi yellow. Try here:

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=999ea3a8-1a12-4d0f-88e8-49b0fe4d5306

LINK
    Emily @Emily

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the dots and the yellow from fabric.com and now I’m just waiting for the pattern to be released.

Three. More. Weeks.

Maybe I can pass the time by calling my local store and asking if they’ll be getting the new patterns in?

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I love the idea of a laminated cotton for a rain coat but I also think a lined wool coat would be great too. I found this magenta wool that could cheer up any gray winter day.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=260987125372609&Store_id=198&page_id=23&Item_ID=16259

LINK
    arlyna @arlyna

Laminated cotton sounds like a better fabric than oilcloth. Now I just need to find the right term for it in Chinese to find it here in Shanghai… If I can’t find it I might try a thinner fleece for the outer and cotton for the lining. Will this work?

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

arlyna, I’ve also seen laminated cotton titled ‘vinyl coated’ it may be listed that way, too.

sews4kla, isn’t farmhouse fabrics a wonderful shop? I love their fabrics and service!

Here is another coat fabric I found–a treated wool; quite expensive, but I may order the sample set to see what it is like. we wear coats here for so many months it may be worth the investment.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/wool_laminate_colors.htm

LINK
    arlyna @arlyna

Lizabeth thanks for that link to Seattle Fabrics. Looks like they have quite an interesting selection. This just reminded me we have a client who specializes and manufactures in this type of fabrics! Maybe I can purchase some from them directly… (hhhmmmm…)

LINK
    slowly going mad ukmum @slowly going mad ukmum

Hi. Still a little new to sewing but have made a few things so far. Can someone please tell me the differance between oil cloth and laminated cotton? I have a lot of oilcloth which i thought would work for well for this coat but now after reading above,i am not to sure. thanks in advance.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

My understanding is that laminated cotton is a bit more pliable and has a bit better drape than oilcloth. They both are laminated fabrics but some of the oilcloth I have seen is a little bit rigid – it would make a more raincoaty stiff coat I think.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think that the distinction between oilcloth and laminates has been lost. I’ve seen the term “oilcloth” used incorrectly very frequently. True oilcloth is very difficult to find, so I would suggest that instead of focusing on the terminology, see if you can find out how thick or heavy the fabric is. Some of the tablecloth-y type “oilcloth” fabrics are very heavy and stiff and probably wouldn’t work well for sewing a raincoat. On the other hand, they look more like tablecloths, too, so you probalby wouldn’t use them for that purpose anyway. I hope that helps!

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I’m sewing the raincoat out of a bright yellow vinyl oilcloth. What stitch length do you all recommend? I want it to hold together, but I don’t want to perforate the material so much that it tears.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.