Oliver + S

Neck Opening

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Just finished a Hopscotch dress (for a night gown) last night and couldn’t resist trying it on the Niblet this morning. I made the 2T for her (she’s 19M and tall) and love how the dress fits her! The only change I made was to the sleeve and bottom hems, only used a 1/4″ and 1/2″ hem allowance, respectively.

My only problem is the neck opening. On her, the neck fit is perfect; it sits beautifully. However, getting it over her head? Well, that was an exercise for myself, the Niblet, and my husband!

I double checked my markings and they are lined up exactly. So, I’m wondering if I could just back the two yokes pieces up from the markings (to open up the neck a little more) without causing construction issues in the next steps.

I imagine that if I did this what I run into then would be not pulling the gathers as tightly, but still being able to put the dress together correctly. Has anyone else run into this? I think this is what I’ll try and, worst case, I rip some seams and grumble. 🙂

I fully intend to make more of these (dresses and tops) because it’s absolutely adorable (and who can resist toddler tummies sticking out of dresses)! If you haven’t gotten it yet, it’s a must have to be sure!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Trying to visualize ……

Could you trim a little seam allowance from the neckline ?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Hey Nicole, I don’t think that’s it. I’ve been thinking more on it and it seems that it didn’t stretch open as much as I think a knit should. In the instructions you’re to stretch out the binding to make it fit the neck. That wouldn’t take all the give or stretch out of it, would it? I will get pictures of it on her tonight.

I laughed at us this morning, thinking this was our version of the child abuse dress! 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Did you cut your neckband with the grain in the right direction? It should have plenty of stretch if you cut the band horizontally–i.e., with the stretch going the length of the band and not the width. I was in a hurry recently and didn’t check the grain when I was making a top, and I cut the grain for the neckband the wrong way. It didn’t even come close to fitting over S’s head. Interlock is especially like this: the stretch all goes one way (weft) and hardly at all with the length of the fabric.

You could also cut the neckband slightly longer, but be sure that’s it’s still shorter than the neck edge of the top or it won’t lie nicely. You should be stretching the neckband when you attach it.

Oh, one other thought: are you using a stitch with plenty of stretch when you attach the band?

I hope this helps: let me know, ok?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Thanks Liesl. I feel confident that I cut that piece correctly, but I do most of my sewing at night so who can say?! Now, I didn’t use the stretch stitch on my machine, and only because I never have in the past. So it was pure habit to carry on as usual.

Like I said, I’ll be making more of these so I will let you know. Thanks for getting back to me!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

As predicted, it was operator error. The latest Hopscotch dress I made is perfect and goes over the Niblet’s noggin with ease. Upon further inspection of the night gown, I see that I must have incorrectly cut my trim on the bias. That’s what I get for cutting late at night!

That said, after a washing we can still get it on our girl. So, I think the snugness is there to stay, but at least there wasn’t any additional shrinking to render her night gown completely useless!

LINK
    pattyv @pattyv

I just made the size 5 top and hopscotch skirt. The neck opening is too small for the 3 1/2 year old’s head. I used fold over elastic as binding. I read the above posts? Please advise.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Do you mean a pre-purchased elastic binding Patty?

The neck needs to be able to stretch quite a bit and then return to shape. The elastic binding may not have enough ”give” or stretch.

Thats such bad luck , could you gently unpick it and try again?

LINK
    pattyv @pattyv

Yes, I did use stretch fold over binding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.