Oliver + S

Measurements List?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I want to make my cousin’s daughter an outfit as a gift (our daughter’s were born the same day) and I haven’t quite decided which O+S pattern to make her yet.

Any suggestions on a comprehensive list for Measurements I can give my Aunt to get so that I will have all the measurements I need when I go to pick a pattern?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

There’s a complete measurement chart available here:

http://www.oliverands.com/patterns/sizecharts2.phtml

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Thanks Todd!

I guess I should be more clear though. Those measurements you linked plus Sleeve Length and Outer Seams for pants. Would there be any others I would need?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sorry–I meant to reply to this earlier.

I would suggest several additional measurements:

1. I often list sleeve length from center back neck, so that would be helpful.

2. Pants outseam would be good. Pants outseam to knee might be handy for shorts and skirts, too.

3. For dresses, length from shoulder at the neck to the knee would also be handy. That’s how I list the length of most dresses.

4. Beyond that, I think chest is the most important measurement for determining which size to make. Length or shorten according to height. For example, S is tall and skinny, so I usually make her a 3 or 4 and add a lot of length because she’s a tall 6. It’s not hard to do, but if you compare the chest and the height it will give you a sense of which pattern to use for chest and how much length you might need to add or subtract according to the height. Look at the finished garment measurements to see how much each size changes for length and add that amount to the size you’re lengthening.

Does that make sense? I should do a blog post about it sometime–people are always very interested when I teach this principle.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Liesl, that is fantastic information and makes perfect sense! I actually refer back to many of your posts on techniques and such, so I think a blog post would be awesome!

And thank you both for taking the time to help me out!

~Jessica~

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.