Oliver + S

Matching Chevrons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    pippi @pippi

So after i saw this dress: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52151674@N08/7997535085/in/photostream/

I bought up some chevron,I ended up with a large chevron though (riley blake large tonal purple). I bought it with the intent of using it for this dress. Now as I get ready to cut I am realizing that if i don’t match the seams, it probably won’t look very good… SO… do I try it or do I use the chevron for something else… I love the chevron pattern but now I am realizing it is harder to use in a garment than I thought! Any other dresses that would even work? Birthday Party (at least the seams are more up and down)?? Class picnic? Music Box jumper view B maybe? Or maybe that chevron is too wild for anything and I should just use it for some pillows or something!?

How hard is it to match up seams like that? I have never tried. It is just for my 6 year old for fun, no special occasion so it doesn’t have to be PERFECT, but I also don’t want to turn sewing up a fun dress into a pain.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The trick is where you place the pattern pieces. I guess you could class it almost as if it is a napped fabric but in this instance it is the pattern not the pile. It just takes a bit of juggling and shifting the pieces so the chevron can look continuous.

If you don’t feel confident doing this particular pattern, you could try a different one. The Music box pattern would look great and that doesn’t require careful piecing. If you DO want to try piecing it and you have the pattern, what about trying the School Photo dress? This has straight pieces so you stand a better chance of matching them if you don’t feel as confident with the Seashore dress.

I hope this is helpful. It is just a matter of experimenting but I understand the continual purchasing of fabric can take its toll if the first attempt doesn’t quite go as planned. Cant wait to see your version so please post it on the flickr group when you are done.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Wouldn’t it be awesome if someone did a blog tutorial on how to layout the pattern for the chevron match? 🙂

Where are out bloggers?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’d tend to look for a pattern with fewer seams for the chevron print. That’s one of those fabrics where you really don’t want to break up the print. You certainly could do something with some clever cutting, but it might get lost in the seams.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Perhaps the rollerskate in a chevron? Hmmmm… not a ton of seams. I think I see my next project on the horizon! 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think that would be adorable! Can’t wait to see!

LINK
    pippi @pippi

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I think I will set the chevron aside for now and dig up (or go shopping for!) something else for my first seashore. The more I think about it, the more I realize that there are a LOT of seams to match on that one!! Something else will come up for the chevron. It would work great for the rollerskate. Maybe the bubble dress too. Lazy days skirts are always an easy option.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Hi Pippi

Obviously, it’s do-able to use chevrons for the Seashore dress (if I can, anyone can!), but honestly, it was very fiddly and took time – both cutting it out and sewing it. As I said in my comments, there was a great deal of basting and unpicking to make sure it was lined up correctly. This was the first time I had used the Seashore pattern, and really don’t think I would have picked that fabric if I had realised beforehand how many pieces I would need to line up.

But – having said that, it is now one of both mine and my daughter’s favourite dresses 🙂

Justine

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

And this is why I rejected my daughter’s request to use a chevron print for her School Days raincoat. Using the laminate was going to be challenging enough for me without the added headache of trying to match prints. I am sure someone with more experience could do it (and it would be adorable) but I try to keep each project to one new challenge!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I bow to Justine’s chevron matching abilities. I am not that brave! I do love that dress so much.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Truly awesome.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

*blushing*

J x

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

While we are talking about print matching…. http://www.flickr.com/photos/52151674@N08/5165933494/in/set-72157624723047073

I think she should do a blog post on matching,I avoid it like the plague!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

That is only mildly impressive. NOT. OMG, How did she do that?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Considering that print and that the pattern has a center panel, I call that pretty darn awesome. I still bow before you, Justine, with this one. I want to copy, but it makes me bite my nails every time I pull out the fabric.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.