Oliver + S

Making the Muslin for Classic Shirt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of Michelle D.Michelle D. @livefaithgirl

Hi,
    I’m making a muslin, first time, I’d appreciate some feedback on whether this is sufficient: I’m thinking to cut out and baste together the shirt front/back/yoke at shoulder seams, put in the front dart, and set in the sleeve. Does that sound about right? I don’t have to make the front plackets necessarily, correct? I was thinking of folding & pressing to mimic the front plackets.

LINK
    Profile photo of Liesl GibsonLiesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

That sounds perfect! You can use the folded placket instead of the set-in placket to eliminate extra cutting and sewing. You might want to confirm the sleeve length with the cuff as well, and be sure the staystitch the neckline so it doesn’t distort while you’re trying it on. Good for you, making a muslin! It’s well worth it in the long run.

LINK
    Profile photo of Michelle D.Michelle D. @livefaithgirl

Thank you Liesl! I did just that, staystiched the neckline, folding the plackets. I made up and attached only one of the sleeves – and I definitely needed to add an inch to the sleeve length because I’m taller and longer. I did not bother to muslin the collar. I’m almost finished my final product and I am loving it so much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2017. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.