Oliver + S

Linen- finishing seams

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Robin is right! Buy it. I am planning on making another with even less in the back, but it love it! I flat felled the seams in coordinating thread and the promptly went for an eye visit where I got bifocals! Haha.

I do love it and am looking for a good bottom weight for the next one. I wear it at least once a week. I am also thinking about a lined voile in a darker/ fall colored print!

Seriously I am a lazy dresser.

Inder, oh my family court stories I have….. 😉

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Oh thank you so much Robin, and J! So kind of you to get back so quickly. I spent several hours yesterday poring over pattern books at Spotlight but really didn’t see any skirt patterns I superliked. I did buy a Vogue Shirtmaker (because Spotters has terrific price on V, and McCalls patterns). Looks like a lot of work but the straight shift shape – especially with a collar – suits me. I’m the rectangle shape – doesn’t matter whether I’m slim or not – the overall shape doesn’t change – which is a real pip. So thank you for the encouragement about the skirt, and for the other tips about seams etc. Ball park speaking, assuming you have worked out the right size for waist/hips, how much would you subtract from the back gathered panel to avoid the ‘bustle’ effect as Lightning mcStitch has called it?

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I haven’t done it yet. What I did was make a L, even though my measurements were outside of the XL. I might make a L front and a M back. Or make an XL from (which is flatter and less gathers) and a M back. You need enough to go around the hips. If you are a rectangle then you have less to worry on that my voluptuous hourglass! HAHAHAH. But I think I would do one size in the front and a size down in the back.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Depends how much bustle you have. : ) I took a couple of inches out of the back piece of the last one I made. Harder to get on, but drapes well.

Can you make the first one as is to just get an idea for fit? I really don’t think you need to muslin this pattern. Maybe save the really good fabric for the next one. Each fabric drapes differently too.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Thank you ladies, those ideas are both brilliant. I’m always too impatient to make practice garments, and as you say, different fabric drapes differently. But better than having something not worn, and hanging up as a reproach. I’m waiting until new season’s patterns are released; I much prefer the paper patterns, and I’m not paying full postage for one pattern. Being a rectangle is ok but would be better if I was taller than 5’2″ (would really help in the supermarket, too. I swear the shelves are “growing”). I’d love to be described as ‘voluptuous’ – milk bottle shaped is more accurate especially now when I’m carrying some winter podge.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.