Oliver + S

Liberty Tana on sale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I was browsing fabric.com and saw thay have some Liberty Tana Lawn at 20% off. If you order 35 dollars or more you get free shipping in the US.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

……and it seems you can always find a coupon for an extra discount.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids
    LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Are they phasing out their liberty!? Oh no! I feel like I’ve been robbing them blind for a while now never paying more than $20/yard after coupons. I’m going to be so sad! Good thing I have a stash!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I was really hoping they’d bring in other patterns. Even Shaukat is USD$27/yd (shipped to LA).

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Sarvi,

Agreed. I always look at the Liberty they carry and never felt like they had the “prettier” prints. Maybe they are getting rid of the old to make way for new.

Jane

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

Okay ladies, I am new to all the different fabric designers and qualities. So far what my local Hobby Lobby or JoAnns has stocked has been ok, and not very expensive. Sooo, I have to wonder what is so wonderful about this Liberty Tana lawn fabric I have read about. Does it sew itself? 😉 I keep thinking I should just order some, but at $20/yd (on clearance, no less!!) I can’t quite seem to get to the checkout.

Can anyone help me understand what is the difference between this (and other high end fabrics) and the regular cottons at my LQS or JoAnns and Hobby Lobby?

Thanks!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I don’t turn my nose up at JoAnns, they sometimes have just the right thing for a particular project. Have you noticed any differences among quilting cottons? For example, there is the Washi line from Timeless Treasures. Super cute print, but a little stiff, a little cardboardy. Great to sew as it holds a crease nicely but if you are, for example, using bias binding or flat piping made from it, it can get kind of bulky quickly. I feel like the colors fade a bit more quickly on some of these, as well.

Then there are some of the nicer quilting cottons from, for example, Moda. I always use City Weekend as an example. It’s a lot softer, smoother, more slinky. This can be a plus or a minus. I’d prefer Washi over CW for a tote bag, for example, and CW over Washi for an unlined blouse. If you’re familiar with Cloud 9, they have different base cloths, a price sensitive one which is coarser, and the other one which is smoother and less stiff.

Then there are lawns, generally. Lighter, finer, smoother than quilting cottons, generally. Robert Kaufman has a London Calling line of lawns that are about $10/yard, not on sale. There are a bunch of fabrics generically called ‘Japanese lawn’ that range in quality, but as a whole, they are lighter and more airy. Hold a very crisp crease, easy to work with. I do find that these are a little more prone to fading, the patterns less sophisticated, and the hand not as silky and fine. There are the Yoshiko Jizenji ones from … I want to say Yuwa? Those are pretty close to Liberty and at least $10/yard cheaper.

The top of the line, for me, is Liberty. So light that you can have many layers without it getting bulky (like a sleeve placket) — working with small pieces in a tight space is a lot more pleasant. You can get super crisp details — collar points, for example. Super tiny pintucks. And it feels extremely nice against the skin. Very silky.

However, these are all subjective. The price difference is substantial and I would say that if you don’t think you are seeing and feeling a very distinct $17 per yard difference between Tana lawn and other lawns or quilting cottons, don’t waste your money. I don’t get out my laser level for hanging pictures — if I can’t see that it’s not level, I don’t care. I only need it to be good enough for my eye. If I’m making cabinets, I get out the level, because there’s going to be a practical, mechanical difference even if I can’t visually tell. Maybe try out a Kaufman lawn when it’s on sale at Fabric.com (it’ll come down to $6 or $7/yard) and see if it feels very different to you.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wow, that’s a wordy reply. Sorry!

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

Sarvi, that was so well explained and very informative, I enjoyed reading it. Sherry

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

Thank you so much, Sarvi, for your reply, it was great and very helpful to me! I think I’ll start with a Kaufman lawn and go from there.

Jennifer

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Liberty is like silk against your skin. It comes close to sewing itself with the ease of use. Liberty has a tremendous history in fabric and you should go to their site just to see how they are the “quintessential” British print makers.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Liberty has been around since Noah and his Ark (not to be confused with MY Noah circa 2005). So it has a very good reputation for turning out quality fabrics. They also have other things besides the fabric but I think they are most famous for their fabric line.

I am currently in love with Stiles! BTW,

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

That is a very nice explanation, Sarvi. Growing up, my Mom never seemed to notice or be bothered by fabric quality and usually bought the cheapest. She (and I) would make quilts (which we hand-quilted) from Wal-Mart quilting cottons, and I still regret and can’t believe that I made my wedding dress with 4.99 a yd satin! But my eyes have been opened and if I am going to go to the work of making something I like to use fabric that will be lovely to work with and wear, and hold up well. One difference between cheap cotton and quality cotton like Moda is the need to iron, good quality cotton usually only needs to be given a little shake and hung up damp to dry with no need to iron. Unless we’re wearing it to a wedding or something, then everybody goes crisply pressed!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Agreed, nice cottons look and feel pleasant and soft even without all the spiffing.

And also agreed on the Liberty Lifestyle fabrics. Quilting cotton, basically, but from Liberty, so very pretty and also pretty soft and nice. I’m using some for a raincoat lining right now, it’s very pleasant to work with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.