Oliver + S

laminate vs oilcloth for rain jacket?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Hi! I am looking to make a rain jacket for my 2.5 year old daughter for this fall/spring and I am starting to check out fabric. I am find that some are called oilcloth and some are laminates- what is the difference? Is one better than the other? I have been looking at some of the Nicey Jane stuff and Nani Iro oilcloth, but I haven’t seen any of it in person- all online. Any opinons on what is better/easier to sew with? Any other ideas of other lines that I can use? I saw on the O&S blog that Lecien is coming out with some polka dots (we are huge polka dot fans in this house!) but I don’t know when they are coming or where to find them!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

I think if you look back in the history of this category there will be a posting on this by Liesl. There is some Michael Miller polka dot laminate on fabric.com – brown background and blue or pink dots – same as the original on the O&S blog ages ago. As far as I can tell the more flexible the laminate the easier it will be to sew and each manufacturer’s laminate is a bit different so it depends on which manufacturer the designer is with. There is also a bit of laminate to be found on etsy by searching “laminate” or “waterproof fabric”. If you read all the threads for this jacket you’ll pick up quite a few comments on different laminates if my memory serves me…

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Oh…thanks! I didn’t realize that there were 2 pages of posts under the jacket topic- I only looked at the first page and there wasn’t much info there! Oops. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.