Oliver + S

I’ve just started my first Liesl pattern, the Montauk Trouser

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Tatiana @TatianaLovesRex

Wish me luck!
    Why are there no comments in this forum?
    This looks like a great pattern, I’m surprised it’s not inspired some conversation.

LINK
    Kat @katCrox

Hi! I have this pattern printed and ready to put together. I will start a test pair today 🙂

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Good luck, Tatiana! You will enjoy it, it’s a great pattern indeed!
    You will find some posts about it in the blog, and inspiring pictures in IG, too

LINK
    Emily @emilyfaith

Tatiana, yes, good luck. im going to check in to see how you’re getting on.

i have a piece of light weight linen that I’m going to use for this pattern. I’m now going to figure out what size to cut.i have not had good results making trousers. I’ve made test pairs but not with linen
    Wish me luck.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I just finished another pair in linen and I’m really happy with the result. One piece of advice I’d offer for linen trousers is that you press the rise seam allowances to one side and edgestitch the rise seam to strengthen it and to prevent “grinning” when the weave opens up because of stress on the seam. Does that makes sense? I can post a photo when it’s light again tomorrow if you need one.

LINK
    Tatiana @TatianaLovesRex

Ok,

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Tatiana.
    LINK
    Tatiana @TatianaLovesRex

Ok, so I made good progress, and then time was consumed by something else. I’m back now!
    Newbie question… what does it mean to “prepare each front-pocket-facing piece by finishing the seam allowances of its longest edge with your preferred method?”. I swear I need a video of the entire making of the Montauk pant :)) I’m not a garment sewer, but I so want to be one!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Tatiana,
    Finishing the raw edge of the pocket facing is done to prevent the fabric fraying or unraveling at the edge.
    You need to do it before you start attaching the pocket facing to the pocket or pants.
    There’s a video on how to finish seam allowances here: https://oliverands.com/free-videos/how-to-finish-a-seam/
    If that link isn’t clickable go to the Learn To Sew tab at the top of the webpage.
    Enjoy,
    Shelley

LINK
    Leslie @leslierh

I’m attaching the waistband to my linen Montauk trousers. The waistband does not line up exactly with the trouser bottoms. There is a gap along the back waistband. I have a feeling something isn’t right but I checked the pattern piece to be sure I cut the right size back waistband and it was correct. Should I use a basing stitch to gather the fabric in the back of the trousers or would you recommend cutting a new back waistband piece that fits the trouser back? I want to make another pair of these trousers so I’m hoping to try and see if I can figure out what I did wrong and find a good solution to my current dilemma. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m sorry to hear the waistband isn’t fitting correctly! It could be that you used different seam allowances for the trouser construction, or maybe your fabric is stretchy? How much of a difference is there? If it’s a small difference you can certainly ease in the excess fabric.

LINK
    Kat @katCrox

Wow – where did the three months go? I finally made a test pair. No pockets, no ankle vent, and a crazy Dear Stella Lumber Jack print. I kinda love them! I made a 4 and the back is just the slightest bit grabby? I’m wondering if I can keep everything the same but cut a 6 on the back inside leg only? I have ZERO experience with altering patterns. It looks scary.
    * I like to test patterns in quilt fabric because I can hack the result into log cabin strips when I am done. But like I said – I love this pair so I might just keep them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.