Oliver + S

Is there such a thing as staple fabrics?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

When I receive Joann coupons I use them for notions, thread, interfacing, elastic etc., but is there such a thing as staple fabrics? Recently I received a Joann coupon for 60% off regular price fabric. I buy my fabric online because the quality is better. The only fabric that I buy there is the Lisette fabric. Are there any staple fabrics at Joann’s, that are very good quality, that are important to have on hand?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I like their ribbing, though I haven’t bought any in a long time as my local stores haven’t had much of a selection the last 6 months or so. Also, I like their uncut corduroy and the 100% Linen.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I not sure what all JoAnne’s carries but I always have on hand is kona cotton solids. It great for use in lining fabrics and great for solids color skirts. (also great for boy shirts!!)

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I just went to JoAnn’s yesterday. I like their linen blend, Kona cotton, and the Denyse Schmidt fabric. I used the 60% off coupon on Denyse Schmidt fabric yesterday. The regular retail price is $12.99/yd. 60% off is around $5.00 which is a good price. Etsy has the same fabric for around $8.00. I also bought buttons, thread and elastic and that is where JoAnn’s made their money from me. I think JoAnn’s regular price Kona cotton is over priced, too. I have never bought Lisette but it is expensive, too isn’t it? If you go to the Joann’s website and do a store locator search, I think you can get an additional 40% off coupon.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

This is slightly off topic, yet not. For those of you with iPhones or android phones, JoAnn’s has an app that has digital coupons. I highly recommend it. You can use the paper coupons and the digital. Also, I also recommend the Michael’s app. JoAnn’s accepts competitor’s coupons, and Michael’s (although crafts and not sewing) often has a 10 or 20 or even 25% off total order type coupon. If you have the app and “show them” the coupon on your phone, they will honor it. Also, Michael’s will often have a 40% off single regular priced item. No reason not to use it on fabric.

The nice thing about the Michael’s coupons, is that b/c they can’t put in a code in the computer, you can use it every day until it expires. šŸ™‚ I haven’t found an AC Moore app yet! But if I do, woo hoo! šŸ™‚

I hope that helps some of you save $$ so you can buy more Oliver + S patterns.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I buy 95% of my fabric at Joann’s. It’s convenient, close by, and the coupons are hard to beat. I really like their twill, linen, and many of their designer quilters cottons and flannels are good quality. The interlock knit is soft and washes well, too. Their inventory doesn’t turn over as quickly as it does it a quilt shop or online but for basics and instant gratification I’ve always found it a good resource.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I buy my notions and stuff there. I really love the fact that A) their fabrics are much better quality than they were in the past, and B) having designers like Liesl and Denyse, who are known for their quality, have lines through them are helping out those stores.

I actually want to try some of their courderoy and linens. I’ve tried their knit ribbing and love it too. Just wish they had more colors.

Though, I did buy some minky recently and I wasn’t a big fan. I bought dot minky from another more “designer” shop (price was about thee same, except I couldn’t use my coupon), and I found the dot minky at the other shop easier to work with. Now, that could have been many issues at work there, but it was enough hassle that I would probably just buy my minky from the other, more expensive place.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I go to Joann’s for holiday prints and flannel for pajamas, and occasionally for notions — I got snap pliers there for so much cheaper than online!

As for staple fabrics, it depends on what you sew! For children’s clothing, the 100% cotton broadcloth is good for lining bodices and hem facing (such as on the puppet show dress version), and for turning into bias binding. For quilting, cotton batting (Pure and Natural is the one I’ve used) is one to purchase in quantity.

Iron-on interfacing is something I usually buy on sale, as you can always use that.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I have used denim and corduroy from JoAnn’s (purchased w/ coupons only) and like them. I got an incredibly soft denim there several months back. I keep telling myself I need to go get some more.

JoAnn’s is definitely a place where I touch the fabrics before buying. You can tell the quality from the not quality fabrics.

I always print coupons from Hancock’s, AC Moore, Michaels, etc. before heading there and I have the app. They will accept several coupons as long as they don’t say on them that they can’t be combined with other offers.

Jane

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Great tip about the app — I am always finding I’ve left my flyer at home. Other than what’s been mentioned here, I like keeping a supply of their cheapest muslin — it’s something like $3/yard at full price — for testing stuff like embroidery or stencil techniques, or if my kid wants some fabric to cut up and play with. Like letting a few weeds grow for the bugs so they don’t eat your veggies and flowers šŸ™‚

They have a kind of heavyweight natural colored linen that I really like, and I don’t know why, it’s actually a terrible weight for everything I use it for. I just like the color.

I am probably the only person who doesn’t like Kona cotton. I love the colors but really dislike the texture.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I don’t like Kona cotton either, Sarvi – I think it is quite rough šŸ™‚

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I read somewhere that the “Kona” at Joann’s isn’t the same as Kaufman’s. Anyone know about this?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Kaufman claims it’s the same, and I imagine that they’d be careful about protecting the reputation of their brand:

http://www.swatchandstitch.com/all-about-kona/2010/9/21/what-is-kona-cotton.html

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I like that Kona comes in so many colors, it’s not hard to find a shade that matches what I need. I don’t like that it’s SO wrinkly.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I buy my McCalls interfacing when I have a coupon,it is usually $12/m.

Well worth it.

~Nicole~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.