Oliver + S

Is it too soon to talk about Easter?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My oldest makes his first communion this year and we’re planning to have some family portraits done. We haven’t had one since Kitty was born! Easter is April 20th, so it’s likely to be warm, but the communion isn’t until June 22, which will definitely be warm. I want to make a truly special dress to span all these occasions. Mostly classic, but perhaps with a little modern flare. The Communion will be on the formal side, but I don’t really want the portraits to be too stuffy. She will be 3 1/2 and I think I should take advantage of the little girl style while I can. There will be plenty of years to make more sophisticated big girl stuff later. She (and I) are pretty set on pink and Martha Pullen happens to have some Swiss voile on sale right now.

That’s quite a lot of requirements isn’t it? I would love suggestions and I would love to hear what everyone else is working on for Easter.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I already have Sarah’s dress done, here is the link to hers, http://sweetpeaandpumkins.blogspot.com/2013/10/under-dress-for-costume-plus-easter.html

or I just might make her this blue Sweet Sophie Dress from Sew Beautiful magazine,

http://www.sewbeautifulmag.com/current-issue/

I have been looking at it for a while now. Either way I will be making her this dress just weather or not it’s for Easter. (I love the pale blue color on Sarah, she is almost 4.)

The three older boys will have Art museum outfits paired with baby blue sketchbook shirts and the baby will have the Art museum mixed with the Little Rabbit Vestee jacket/suspender outfit. I like the pattern but I gonna change it up with the Art Mus. pattern.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m not specifically working on Easter but on three March birthdays, which may get worn at Easter. Easter is going to be cold here being so late in April. I’m making the school photo dress for the sew along for the 6 year old, I want to make a family reunion with either long 2+2 sleeves or gathered school photo sleeves and probably some trousers in jeans knit fabric for the boy.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

It will be interesting to look at what new patterns Liesl releases for spring. Not that there aren’t a lot of patterns to pick from already.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Right? I don’t know how she does it. You think you have every pattern you could ever possibly need and then without fail Liesl comes up with another one you simply must try.

I think School Photo would be nice for a cooler Easter. I will have to have a sweater or jacket on backup for us too just in case. Wouldn’t it be sweet if she had a matching little coat? But a spring dress coat might only get worn the once, so I’ll have to think about it. I like the idea of doing myself a sheath dress with matching coat. Wouldn’t that be swish?

Sharon, I have that issue but haven’t had a good look yet, I love the little boys jacket, but I missed my chance to dress the boys like little royalty. They’re both (and tall) old enough to look completely ridiculous int hat getup. I simply didn’t know how to dress boys and by the time I figured it out, they were huge. I’d love to see photos if you do that.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Wow! Lots of requirements. Easter does fall late this year so the seasons won’t be usual so I guess a little planning could be required. I just haven’t thought that far just yet. I do know that I baulked when I found the supermarket had easter eggs out already in January (that in my book is just far too greedy and far too soon).

Anyway, like you the weather will be slightly different and possibly cooler at our end of the world (although you can never really tell until you get there). I will probably do the Art museum pants and vest with the sketchbook shirt (collar and sleeves will be decided at a later date) for Noah but for Imogen I have no idea. She is likely to change her mind and rock up to church in trackies at the moment. It is all swings and round abouts with dress sense as she explores what she likes yet says she loves what I make her (and it sits or hangs in the wardrobe). So ask me again in March and I might have an answer.

Sharon is that the Feb/ March issue? I’m waiting for the digital copy to become available.

LINK

Yes it is Tamara. I couldn’t help myself but to squeal when I seen the suit! There is also a lovely pink smocked dress I am wanting to make. Sarah even asked for it but until I get a pleater it’s on hold.

I was looking at a smocked dress coat as well in one of the Sew beautiful magazines too, I am thinking about making Sarah one too for Easter but making it with pin tucks instead of the smocking.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Yeah, not to tease or anything, but I think you might want to see what we have in store for spring before you do your Easter planning. We’ve got one that I think a LOT of you are going to like!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, sorry, that was me logged in as Todd.

LINK

Liesl, If you are going to tease we need a photo to go with it!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Liesl, you are such a tease! Can you at least give us a hint as to when the patterns will be released? I have silk dupioni in Easter egg colors for both of the girls, and was going to do either a Bubble or a sleeveless Fairytale … but maybe I should put them off a little while longer …

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

How funny! Liesl as Todd in disguise! So when can can we view a visual morsel of this spring pattern? Then we can all SPRING into easter sewing action hehe!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ack, you know I can’t show yet! We’ve been knocked off so many times when I show things too early (you know who you are, guilty parties!). Photo shoot for the spring patterns is tomorrow. Proofreading comes back today. Spring patterns will go to the printer next week, and it usually takes 6-8 weeks before the patterns are printed and in our warehouse. I’ll show you as soon as I can, I promise!

LINK

oh that too far away!! and besides there is nothing as great as there real O+S patterns! any teeny tiny peeks? and are there any thing for boys??

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So the patterns will be announced in late March? I may wait to see. But I don’t think I could go wrong ordering the pink Swiss voile that’s on sale at Martha Pullen right now. Pattern can come later I think. Sharon, you had me going through my issues of Sew Beautiful and I am loving that smocked toddlers coat from the winter issue. They did it in white wool challis, but wouldn’t it also be lovely in some kind of pink cotton or linen for spring?

Trying to find something formal enough for Phil’s communion, yet not too stuffy for family portraits is tricky. I was looking at Puppet show, but might go with a simple old fashioned bishop or yoke dress. Well, I have time. I’ve made so many Fairy tale dresses, I’d like to do something different.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.