Oliver + S

Invisible Zipper — hand basting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hi there: I am trying to practice inserting an invisible zipper before doing it on the real dress. For School Photo pattern, step 5 under the “Insert the Zipper” instructions it says to “hand baste the zipper to the fabric alone the center of the zipper tape….” Does this mean to hand baste from the top horizontal line I drew to the bottom horizontal line, in the center of the zipper? In other words, hand baste the entire length? I think it does, but would appreciate confirmation. Also, why hand baste? Can I baste with my machine?

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this! Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hand basting is the way to go.

It allows accuracy when sewing without having to worry about pins.

I have a blog post showing how to do it,its not a O+S pattern,but it will give you a general idea.

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/wren-wonderment-part-two.html ,I am sorry not be more helpful,I am a bit pushed for time with a poorly toddler.

Good luck.

~Nicole~

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

You’ll want to hand baste it for two reasons- to eliminate pins when you’re sewing it to the fabric, and because it’s easier to rip out if you’ve messed up.

Good Luck- zippers are your friend, and invisible zippers are your BFF once you’ve got the hang of them.

LINK

Thank you both for your replies… And thank you especially to MOther of Five for the excellent tutorial. Glad you sent that to me– so helpful to see the pictures. Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is my absolute pleasure.

The invisible zipper instructions in the School Photo dress are splendid. I particularly like the way the way the top of it is finished by ‘wrapping’ the lining around it(it will all make sense when you get to that step).

I pull that pattern out frequently when I am sewing other pattern labels.

(Which is infrequently, he he)

I bound my arm seams too,to give it a nice finish. http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5038167005/in/set-72157625264559742

Good Luck!

~Nicole~

LINK

Didn’t realize you are Mother of 5 AND Nicole 1974!! I’ve noticed your pictures on Flikr– your work is wonderful! Thanks for sharing it.

Best, Soon to be Mother of 3!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you!

You have made my day.

Congrats on the baby-how very very exciting,I love babies.

~Nicole~

LINK

Thanks for the well wishes! May I impose one more question on you? I am excited to report that I very successfully installed my invisible zipper! You were right, the instructions are excellent! Just one more question:) In step 9, under the installing zipper section, when it tells us to “hand-stitch or use the zipper foot to machine-stitch each end of the zipper tape” — it seems they mean JUST the ends of each tape, not the tape in its entirety? As I write this, that seems clear, but I thought would still post and make sure I am understanding this correctly. Everyone is so helpful! Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes,just the end of the zip(the bit without any teeth) that has not been stitched when inserting the the zipper.

Stitch it to the seam allowance to hold it nicely in place.

I am looking forward to seeing this dress.

~Nicole~

LINK

thanks again! you’re wonderfully helpful! have a good night.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.