Oliver + S

Invisible Zipper for Tea Party Dress?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    K8H @K8H

I’m making my second-ever Tea Party dress, and noted an example in the Flickr group that had been made with an invisible zipper in the side seam to extend the length of time the dress would fit. http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/8365114723/

That seems like an excellent idea to me. Is there anyone else who has found that this dress would still fit a child if it weren’t too tight to get over the head? I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra effort to work out the details of adding the zipper. I do love the dress and love the idea of it fitting longer! (Plus it would be a good stretch for my sewing skills!)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Kate

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My 9 year old is still wearing this dress,in a lengthened size 5,and has no trouble getting it over her head.

Have you found this a problem or are you thinking ahead?

A invisible zipper would definitely work but I personally have not found it an issue.

I will be interested to see what you come up with.

~Nicole~

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I made the dress with the invisible zipper. I had made two different friends these dresses for their daughters and they both mentioned that they were a little tight to get on but once on fit well. So the invisible zipper in the side seam was my solution to the problem and a “will this work moment?” 🙂 But on the same note one of the parents who noted that it was a little tight to get on their daughter is still wearing it regularly, I think she has to step into it rather than it going over her head. I wounder if it may also be an ease of the child dressing dressing themselves. But it’s not hard to do and I can imagine making it easier to get the dress on and off a wiggly child. Good luck.

LINK
    K8H @K8H

I’m just thinking ahead – I don’t have kiddos of my own to sew for (yet) and am just having fun sewing for friends and family. So I haven’t had any experience with this dress on an actual wiggly child – maybe it depends on the size of the head! The one I’m making is for a little one (6-12 m size) and the zipper seems like a great way to be prepared for all possibilities – I’ll think I’ll give it a try. Thanks for weighing in!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Just from a Mum’s point of view,it is a great idea but I would make sure there was a soft facing under the zipper end and that the zipper pull was not near tender underarm skin.

My babies could get a rash from a clothing label.

I look forward to seeing the little dresses made.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

We usually step into ours too. I just squeezed my daughter into her St. Patrick’s dress from last year that now barely covers her rump, but that still fit fine on the bodice (once we got it over that rump anyhow!). I think a side zip would definitely make it easier if you are looking for practice with zippers, but it’s not all that terribly hard to get it on without. From our experience I would say your best bet for extending the use of it would probably be to add a half size or so more in length too though. This is my all time favorite O+S pattern!!

LINK
    K8H @K8H

Thanks, everyone, for your very helpful suggestions! I decided not to add the zipper this time around, as I think you are right, pippi – it will likely be too short before it’s too small elsewhere. But I’ll keep the technique in mind for future versions of this pattern. (There will be more, I’m sure – I love it!) And I’ll definitely consider adding length as well. Just added a photo of the finished (zipper-less) dress: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61441488@N06/8592325711/in/photostream

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

K8H, your dress is gorgeous! I’ve added length to the dress by adding it to the bottom following the curves of the dress (so it flares more) and redrawn the hem facing. I think Nicole added some to the bodice and some to the skirt, but I can’t quite remember.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It is sweet,love the piping.

I added length as below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/8372437936/in/photostream/ it works well on my slim willowy girl.

Thank Heidi.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.