Oliver + S

How to increase neck opening?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

I’m about to make the bedtime story pajamas for my daughter who is 10. As the pattern is only sized to 8, and she is big for 10 years old, I want to increase the size of the neck opening. I haven’t made the pattern in several years, so I’m a little uncertain as to how is the best way to go about it. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

On the piece for the front, there are dots to indicate the end point of the shoulder seams. I am considering moving the placement of those dots towards the outside about 1/2″ and re-drawing the slope of the front to make it more open. I realize I also need to do something to the back to make it correspond.

Additionally, I will need to increase the chest size, as her chest matches the “finished” measurements. That seems straightforward- I think I can simply extend the side edge of both front and back pieces by about an inch.

I’m doing all this in a stretch. The sewing shop near my house had no voile or lawn, like I was hoping for and the little old ladies insisted that this cotton/poly stretch was the only fabric one would ever use to make pajamas. Actually, it will probably be good that it’s in a stretch so there is more ease as I’m pretty unsure about how it will all go down.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would wonder if you made it in stretch whether that would be enough?
    My girls wore the size 8 until they were 12.
    I don’t have a lot of success sizing up patterns, I find they lose the original look for me but I would wonder about splitting the centre front piece and adding to the middle?
    Perhaps split the back at the shoulders to the hem and add a little to the centre back seam?
    I am sorry not to be more help.

The Sleepover goes up to a size 12 and I have made those in knit and they fit my 15 year old girls.

LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

My concern over keeping the look of the top is a contributing factor to my hesitation!

My daughter wore the size 6 until she was 9, but now she’s got broad shoulders! How did that happen so fast??!

Are you suggesting adding to the the back at the center seam AND from the shoulder- hem?

I will go use my visualizing powers on opening the front from its center to add to the neck opening. Hadn’t considered that, I guess because it’s asymmetrical.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@SarahGreen, I think that is what I mean… 🙂
    You are after width? Is that right?

LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

Some width, yes. And specifically to make the opening of the neck larger.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am sorry not be more help, I am really just thinking out loud.
    I must admit, I adore these pj’s too. I have made blouses from the top.

LINK
    SarahGreen @moonglowmama

Actually, you are a help. I quite appreciate being able to bounce ideas off someone who knows something about sewing and thinking out loud is mostly what I’m doing— until I cut!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Always very happy to talk sewing, cooking and babies!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.