Oliver + S

How to add a removable fabric bow

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I would like to add a removable fabric bow to the front of two bubble dresses for a 6 month old and a 11 month old. The bow would be big, it would cover the bodice seam and go almost all the way across the front. I would also like to be able to remove it from the dress if they start to eat it or it bothers them. My next wish is (if that were to happen) to remove it and have no visible sign it was there. Is there another way possible besides tacking? I found some tutorials online, on how to make bows, but please share if you have one too.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Short of tacking, the only thing I can think of that would be truly invisible would be a magnet sewn to the inside of the dress, but I’m afraid that would be a poor choice for so many reasons. What is it about tacking that seems like undesirable to you?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How invisible? You can buy clear sewn on poppers….

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you for your replies. I will tack them on and send the dresses off early to my daughter and daughter-in-law to try on to see if the bows will be a bother. Nicole the clear snaps are a great idea too. Sarvi, right magnets are a good idea but I agree with the possible choking issue. I was trying to avoid a safety pin too. Both babies are in a 4th of July parade, and I wanted to think of an easy way for them to remove the bows quickly without having to use scissors.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

You could add a couple of small thread chains at the bodice seam and have little snapping loops on the bows, maybe? Or attach the bow to a sash that goes all the way around. Maybe even use same-colored fold over elastic as a stretchy belt? I do think a safety pin would be fine, though. You could buy “locking” diaper pins– I used these with my own child, and they’re made to use on babies, after all.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

You could do clear buttons.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

If it is for a parade, you could just about do tiny normal press studs/poppers. From that distance, they’d be almost invisible.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

How about a combo — lightly tack on clear snaps. It should be strong enough to hold the bow on for a day, no scissors needed, snaps easy to snip off when they get home, and bows can then be sewn on permanently to another dress, hairband, purse…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.