Oliver + S

How short can I make it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Johanna @clothandbobbin

I want to make the Gallery Tunic with a voile fabric. Since I am 5′ tall my length should be more like 21″. Is it possible to shorten a size 8 or 10 that much?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Johanna, are you long in the body? If so ( like me) I can just lop off the hem. If you are short bodied you may want to shorten above the waist line.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Hi Johanna! (now that is fun)
    I’m 5’2″. I made a straight 8 but took 1 1/2″ off the “shorten line”. I’m short in the torso, but long (for a petite) in the legs. I’m pretty average through my shoulders. I would say you may not want to take that much length out unless you would like it to be a blouse instead of a tunic. If that’s the case, then you would need to alter the hem a bit, as there is a good sized curve on each side of the curved hem. I would reduce the length between the hem dots and the bottom of the tunic, and then re-draw your curve if that’s the look you’re after.

LINK
    Johanna @clothandbobbin

Thanks Nicole and JohannaO (good name). I’ll see what happens when I shorten some at the shorten line. Due to a pear shaped body I’m not always sure I want long shirts so this may not be the right pattern for me.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m chuckling to myself this morning Johannas. I saw the picture of JohannaO in the flickr group and thought the tunic was perfect, and wondered why she was asking for advice after the fact. Happy sewing Johanna!

LINK
    Johanna @clothandbobbin

I’ll be JohannaH

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Me too, Robin. I clicked on the profile to double check. 🙂

LINK
    Robin @Robin

JoannaH, I think if you can get a good fit in the shoulders, and have the tunic glide over the rest of your body, it will look great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.