Oliver + S

Help for matching plaid?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Jennifer @sewswim

Hello! I don’t know why this is so difficult for my brain today, but I’m working with a beautiful plaid wool, and struggling with how to cut the fabric to maintain the pattern across the buttons/ front of the cape. The fabric is very similar to the navy/cream large plaid that Liesl used in terms of size. The picture shows how I cut it and why it won’t work…the cream square disappears! It seems so simple but…I’m almost out of fabric and hoping I can get some guidance to make sure I don’t cut this wrong, again. Thank you 🙂

Attachments:
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Do you want it to match when it’s buttoned closed?

You need to mark the centre front on each pattern piece as a vertical line. I think there’s a notch at the neck line to indicate where this is from memory.
    Then, when you cut, you make sure the centre front lines hit the same part of the plaid pattern, not the edge of the pattern piece.

If you trace your pattern onto thin interfacing (often called “trace and Toile” in store) this is even easier as you can see through it to see your fabric’s pattern underneath.

Good luck, pattern matching matters and I salute you for trying!
    Shelley

LINK
    Jennifer @sewswim

Thank you Shelley! That makes perfect sense. I even used tracing paper, I probably just didn’t transfer that marking – making it it extra difficult for myself. My husband voted to leave it as it is, but I think I can manage to cut the pieces again.

Schooling my young children at home and helping (and worrying about) a sick furry family member have turned my brain to complete mush. Thank you for the help! 🙂

Jennifer

LINK
    Jennifer @sewswim

Sorry Shelley, I didn’t answer your question. Yes, I would like the plaid to match up (perfectly haha) when the cape is buttoned.

Hmmm. I just went back and checked the pattern (one I printed and taped together, and I’m not seeing a center notch for the front piece. There is one on the back piece!

LINK

My reply disappeared…

In that case use the button markings and edge of buttonholes to create a vertical line that you’ll then match your pattern to.

Don’t forget that the buttons sit to the edge of the buttonhole, not the centre.

I’ll try and attach a picture without losing the reply again 🙂

LINK

LINK
    Jennifer @sewswim

Thank you Shelley, I really appreciate the help. I’m very hopeful I’ll get this cut out correctly. Maybe not tonight though!? Cutting too late at night likely added to my issues. 😉

Your Woodland Stroll is beautiful by the way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.