Oliver + S

Having trouble matching the pant legs for art museum trousers…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    pippi @pippi

Hi- I am making these pants for the first time and I cannot figure out what is going on with the crotch. I checked my traced pattern against my fabric and against the original and it looks pretty close, but I have about .5-.75 inches or so of extra length on the inseam?? I have a bit of stripe to my fabric so I just matched at the leg hem so it stays straight and will just have to cut off part of the point of the crotch seam to make it fit. I am making a size 2T. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem??

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made these yet so I am just visualising… is that the pointy bit, at the crotch seam?

Some patterns will have the bit cut off, sometimes you will trim it after sewing.

I am not sure if I am helping or making things more confusing.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have made these trousers once and had no issue. The pieces look as though one side has been trimmed already doesn’t it?

What I do I rest the two edges together and pretend the side that looks trimmed is pointy like the other piece and then I align the top and side edges up, not worrying about the corner and stick a pin in to hold them together. Then I pin from there down to the cuff but only after I do the same to the cuff edge – basically I pin both ends and fill in the gap with pinning but I pin from the top.

If you align the top, pretending the bit that looks clipped doesn’t look that way, you shouldn’t have any problems. It actually becomes hidden in the seam allowance so won’t bother you when you go to sew the crotch seam itself.

This isn’t the only pants pattern to have this “feature” and in time it will seem less annoying. You can find ways to work around it and see the benefits of it in time I’m sure.

I have sewn pants as per the instructions (sewing the in seam and then the crotch) and also using other methods (sewing fronts and then back crotch seams and then the inseams) and each time it hasn’t been a problem.

It might have something to do with reducing bulk at the crotch when you sew that seam so don’t worry just be sure to align the top and sides of the crotch and leg parts of the piece you are sewing and you should be fine.

I hope that makes sense.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

Thanks! I will just sew through it and ignore the pointy part and see how they come out!!!

LINK
    pippi @pippi

By the way it came out totally fine!! I just sort of matched them up as best I could and they fit great. I think there is a little more room in the rise on these pants than in the sailboat pants. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59555784@N02/10712481865/in/pool-oliverands

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh they look fantastic Pippi! Love the picture on your flickr name too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.