Oliver + S

Finishing the sleeve view B

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    dianelyons @dianelyons

This is my first 3 scissors project ever and I’m SO happy to report it’s going great! I just have the button holes and buttons left to do. (Thank you Liesl for writing such clear instructions!)But I do have a question–I’m thinking I may have done something wrong with the sleeves. They look terrific from the outside–but on the inside the sewing line (the one that doesn’t show from the outside) is 1/4 inch below a raw, unfinished edge. Was I supposed to tuck the raw edge under? or did I somehow fold the sleeve wrong? or is it okay just like this? My concern is that it will fray. Thanks a million.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I went and looked inside the dresses I have made and it appears that I overlocked that edge before sewing the sleeve up. I also caught that seam in my stitching line.

Is it possible for you to neaten the seam? Or at least sew a second seam to catch it?

It should be hidden under the cuff.

I hope this is some help.

LINK
    dianelyons @dianelyons

I really appreciate you checking on this for me. Is overlocking when you sew a zigzag stitch close to the edge of the fabric? (Sorry that I don’t know that!) I do think I could sew a second seam to catch it. Thank you so much!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It was my absolute pleasure!

Sorry,yes,overlock-serge-zigzag,neaten is what I should have said. I must remember the AUS-USA equivalent.

Its a gorgeous pattern isn’t it?

LINK
    dianelyons @dianelyons

Thanks for clarifying that! You’re so helpful. YES–the pattern is beautiful. I’m thrilled with how thge dress turned out and it feels amazing to have learned so many new sewing skills along the way.

Thanks again,

Diane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.