Oliver + S

Finishing the side seams on view B in flannel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am making view B from an Anne Marie Horner flannel in a size 2. After the sleeves are set, I will sew one long seam from the wrist to the underarm, then from the underarm down the side to the bottom of the dress. Because I am using flannel, should I leave the side seams serged and pressed open for less bulk at the hem or is there a way to finish the side seams so the raw edges are hidden? I used french seams for the Birthday Party dress but the directions on the tutorial said french seams are for lighter weight fabrics.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I made this view in a fine wale cord, and I would recommend finishing the seams (with a serger or zig zag), sewing the seam and then pressing them open. It’s an itty-bitty hem, and it would get bulky if the seams were serged together.

LINK
    E1izabeth @E1izabeth

If I were you I’d probably use a french seam. Although I haven’t worked with the AMH flannel so I don’t know how much bulk it would create. I have made View B in a quilting weight cotton and once in a cord. See it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55264675@N04/5126029821/

In both dresses I used french seams for the continuous arm/side seam and I had no problems. Although with the cord dress I did add an inch or so to the dress length when I cut it out so I could use a deeper hem. I find that my french seams are not that bulky as long as I trim the allowance very closely after sewing the first seam and then press carefully before sewing the second seam to enclose it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would be inclined to overlock the edges and do a flat seam rather than do french seams. It is a teeny weeny sleeve and I would worry about bulk. However , if you are very particular and follow E1izabeth’s instructions regarding the trimming, I am sure it could be done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.