Oliver + S

Faux Fly Basting Stitches. Removed or not?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

HI all, I’ve read and re-read the pattern instructions and nowhere can I see (and that definitely doesn’t imply it’s not there!) an instruction to remove the basting stitches at the faux fly. I’m assuming you would otherwise it may as well just be an ordinary seam, but I don’t want to go ripping them out without assurance….

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Disclaimer-have not made this pattern yet!

If they are basting stitches,I would remove them when completed.

So excited to see this ‘tenue’.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I didn’t take them out as they were hidden in a seam at the top. Unless basting stitches will show I tend to be a little lazy in removing them. 🙂

LINK
    montgocc @montgocc

I am having the same question … the faux fly is basted together (“Assemble the Pants” step 5), but I don’t see anywhere that you sew that or take out the basting? Is that right? It seems like you should sew that seam, if you take the basting out there will be sort of a pocket between the center front and the faux fly edgestitching??

Step 8 of the same section is where you do the edgestsitching and step 6 illustration clearly shows the basting.

LINK
    montgocc @montgocc

I found this:
    http://whimsicalfabricsewalong.blogspot.com/2013/11/sew-along-9-field-trip-pants-tee-lesson_22.html

They never baste that seam, they just sew it. Thoughts?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Replying to my own question… I’ve made these pants quite a few times now and I remove the basting stitches. The slight “openness” makes it look more like a functional fly.
    I’m in the “remove them” camp.

LINK
    montgocc @montgocc

Thank you. I went ahead this time with stitching that seam but I do see what you mean. My topstitching is a matching color and you almost don’t see that the faux fly is there. I might try it your way in the future.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.