Oliver + S

Family Reunion dress with peter pan collar?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    lenagiacomini @lenagiacomini

My daughter wears school uniforms and all dresses have to have a collar. I love the family reunion dress, but need to add a collar. Any suggestions? thanks!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

For something simple like this, what about draping? Cut some scraps of fabric in the approximate shape of a collar and pin them along the neckline and refine the shape from there. If you have another pattern with a collar shape you like, you could copy from there, and just adjust the seam where it meets the neckline to match the pattern you’re using.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

mh2t on flickr recently made one with a peter pan collar, she has a few notes on her picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/9575443092/

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Yes, I just made the dress georgeandizzy referenced (I’m mh2t on flickr – confusing). Anyway, I drafted the collar pattern using the facing pattern as a guide. Then I attached it to the neckline using bias tape. It was quite simple, actually! Just make sure to take into account the fact that the collar will be shorter than the normal facing pieces because you don’t want it to overlap in the back. I hope that makes sense.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I love the collar. I can’t quite imagine how you used bias tape. I’ve never made a collar.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Do you have a pattern with a collar so you can practise attaching it with bias tape? Making collars based on how rtwg did it is rather straight forward. You just have to remember to make two sides and a top and bottom of each side. You could make matching bias to the fabric for your dress – just cut a strip on the bias (45 degree) the length of the neckline and wide enough to fold it in half so as not to show the raw edges (it is rather fiddly folding bias over a small amount.

I encourage you to have a go on a sample first to try it out. Of course this method doesn’t have to be used for all dress styles. But because this dress doesn’t have a lining this is the method to use.

RTWG I had no idea you had a different flickr name!

Tamara

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Yes, Tamara, my Flickr membership greatly predates my O+S membership and I no longer use that Flickr moniker on the Internet. I don’t know whether I can change my Flickr name but I should probably look into it.

Justsewit’s explanation is just how I did it. you attach the bias over the raw edge, so that the bias and the inside of the dress make a sandwich with the raw edge enclosed inside.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its utterly divine. I intend to ‘compliment’ the heck out of it once your blog post goes up.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

So nice to connect the “two of you”! I changed my flickr name, but that was before all of the new changes, but I would imagine there is a way.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Get the library dress. It has a collar! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.