Oliver + S

fabric pulling up above elastic in rollerskate dress?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    NikkiT @NikkiT

First time trying the rollerskate pattern and I’m finding that, when worn by my 2 year old, the dress seem to migrate upwards with the elastic ending up mid-chest and the fabric bunching up above it. Not sure what the problem is- could it be the elastic is too loose or too tight? Has anyone else experienced this?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Nikki, it sounds as if the elastic is a bit firm?

That may cause it to bunch up.

If your little one is long bodied it may help to lower the elastic casing too.

~Nicole~

LINK
    NikkiT @NikkiT

Hi Motherof5, thanks for your thoughts. That could be it – she is actually only 2 (as of yesterday!) but I made a 3T since that fit her measurements best- she’s a pretty tall kid. I’ll try playing with the elastic – I haven’t sewed it shut yet, thank goodness. If that doesn’t work, perhaps ripping out and resewing the elastic will work better (boo). I guess that’s what I get for not making a muslin first…

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Nikki, I haven’t made the RS dress yet, but the problem you describe did occur to me as a potential one. I thought I might counteract it by threading some firm ribbon through the casing (with a buttonhole opening either in the front or the back) so that the ribbon can be tied to the most comfortable position/firmness for the child. Just a thought; Mother of 5 is a real expert with sewing for children, and her suggestions are always very useful. Hope you will post a picture of the dress on Flickr for us.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Don’t feel bad about not making a muslin; for a simple, unfitted child’s garment like this it’s not at all necessary. I agree that the elastic is just a bit too tight. When I made this for my daughter I left the elastic uncut, threaded it through the casing, and then tried it on her and adjusted the elastic so that the dress hung perfectly. The elastic is there more or less to nicely gather in the fullness, not to keep it tight against the body. HTH, Brenda

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

…….one other thing to keep in mind is that (in my opinion, anyway) elastic shrinks/tightens just a tiny bit after being washed and dried.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.